We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent camping-end of June or end of August?

Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
Tent camping—end of June or end of August?
Save

Hi! I’d like to tent camp at Mather either the last week of June 2022 or The last week of August 2022. I’m leaning toward June bc of the probability of less rain…but will it be that much colder? I have a cold weather rated sleeping bag and have camped in January in Massachusetts. Any recommendations either way? Just trying to mentally decide which month eoukd be the better option. Also, I’d be flying there so my tent, bag, etc would be in luggage so extra blankets are not an option nor a lot of rain/dry clothes.

Thx!

6 replies to this topic
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,062 posts
16 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: Tent camping—end of June or end of August?
Save

Night time lows at Mather are going to be in the mid-50's or warmer in late June. I think late August will be cooler than late June but only by a few degrees. Either way, you won't need a winter bag by any means.

June will be dryer than August but they're both pretty dry by Massachusetts standards... the driest month in Massachusetts will still have more precipitation than the wettest month at the Grand Canyon.

Neither would be my first (or second) choice months at the Canyon. My favorites are April and October.

Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Tent camping—end of June or end of August?
Save

Thank you @DetTigerFan—my work shuts down those weeks so those are my only choices. I appreciate your reply and think I’ll go go with June. Thanks again!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,062 posts
16 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Tent camping—end of June or end of August?
Save

>> think I’ll go go with June.

Be sure to make all your reservations as they become available. June/July are peak visitor times.

Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: Tent camping—end of June or end of August?
Save

Will do! Thank you!

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
12 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Tent camping—end of June or end of August?
Save

Who knows what next year will bring, but this year June was unbearably hot and August has been a lot more moderate.

Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Tent camping—end of June or end of August?
Save

Thank you

Reply to: Tent camping—end of June or end of August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.