We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon

2 posts
Save Topic
Grand Canyon

Hi

I'm planning a trip to GC with my 3 boys (14,12,9) We will be RV camping for 2 days, but I really have my heart set on Havasu Falls. I understand that I have to book through the Indian Res and get a room at their facility. First off is this something I should even think about with kids? What do I do with my RV? ( I can just book the site longer and not be there...no biggie)

Help!

6 replies to this topic
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon

Havasu Falls is not part of the Grand Canyon National Park; it is a long drive away. You would have to drive to Hualapai Hilltop to start the 10-mile hike down to the falls. The lodge books up completely as soon as reservations open up (the previous year) and it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to get a room there this year.

If you have your heart set on it, read up on the logistics in the Supai forum, and start planning now for next year.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon

This is all for next year. I understand that it is not part of the park and you have to try and get through to make a reservation and even then it may be a long shot. My question was that if I by chance I did get a reservation what and where should I keep my camper? I will be traveling from Chicago for 2 weeks. We will do Sedona, GCNP and antelope for starters.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon

You would drive it to Hualapai Hilltop and leave it parked there while you do the hike down and back.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon

2019 reservations for the Lodge opened up on June 1 of this year (2018). They tend to fill up quickly; if your dates are not flexible, reserve NOW. Campground reservations open up on February 1, 2019 -- they sell out frighteningly fast, so you'll need to start trying to make a reservation the instant the web site opens for business.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon

One positive aspect of having an RV is you can drive to Hualapai Hilltop the night before your hike and sleep in it. Then start your hike early the next morning to avoid some heat and maximize your time at the falls.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,655 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon

Going to Supai in itself needs 3 days 2 nights. The hike is not an easy one. The first barrier as already mentioned is getting a permit.

What time of year do you plan this trip?

Edited: 10 June 2018, 00:17
Reply to: Grand Canyon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted