We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon arrival activity?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
335 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon arrival activity?

My husband and I will be arriving at the Kallispell airport at about 2 p.m. on September 1 for our week in Glacier. Then we'll pick up our rental and visit Super One Foods to get our cooler, bear spray, his fishing license, and breakfast/lunch foods before arriving at the Coram cabin where we'll spend three nights. I'm guessing we will check in at about 4. I think we should have about four hours of daylight after we settled.

We'd like to get out and stretch our legs and see some scenery after being in airports all day, but don't want to buy a park pass until the next morning, when we'll head to McDonald Valley and other sites on the west side, including Polebridge. Would it be a good idea to drive out Highway 2 bu about 4:30 p.m. to Stanton Lake, take the hike and maybe let him cast a few times?

Or, if we're too tired for that (or the weather isn't cooperative), could we drive to Belton Chalet and eat a light supper in the Taproom? (I can't figure out where we'll actually enter the park, and whether Belton Chalet is past the entrance station or before it.) Any other ideas that don't include shopping? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Belton Chalet
Belton Chalet
341 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
13 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon arrival activity?

Belton Chalet is outside of the park. The entrance station is between the town of West Glacier and the village of Apgar on the Going-to-the-Sun Rd.

Most of my suggestions would involve entering the park. Maybe you could head to Whitefish (Lake or Big Mountain)? Stanton Lake could be good, but I've never been there.

If you like whiskey, visit Glacier Distilling in Coram.

Mentioned in this post
Belton Chalet
Belton Chalet
341 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Apgar Campground
Apgar Campground
48 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
335 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon arrival activity?

Thank you! Has anyone else visited the lake? I was interested in it because I think it would be less than 30 minutes from Coram?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
16,898 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon arrival activity?

If you are headed out on Hwy 2, on the other side of Essex is the Goat Lick. It's my favorite late afternoon activity = watching the goats that have congregated from all over Glacier at the natural goat lick.

USA
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon arrival activity?

I’ve read spring is best for visiting Goat Lick, you might not see anything in September.

https://hike734.com/trip/goat-lick/

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
335 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon arrival activity?

Yes, from what I read they stop coming before we will get there. Thinking we might at least walk to the lake and maybe have dinner at the Izaak Walton dining car, unless someone has a better idea?

Mentioned in this post
Izaak Walton Inn
Izaak Walton Inn
606 Reviews
Essex, MT
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon arrival activity?

Is there some reason you don't want to buy you park pass the first day?

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon arrival activity?

I can't comment on the lake you want to visit, but last year the food at Izaak Walton was very good.

Mentioned in this post
Izaak Walton Inn
Izaak Walton Inn
606 Reviews
Essex, MT
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
335 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon arrival activity?

We don’t want to buy a park pass the first day because we will be spending 7 more days in the park after that first afternoon, and from what I understand, the park pass lasts 7 days. I don’t want to spend an additional $30 for just a few hours that first afternoon.

9. Re: Afternoon arrival activity?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 June 2018, 07:03

USA
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon arrival activity?

If you follow MaryEllen's link to the fee page, there is actually no daily pass option. The $20 pass is a single-person fee for those arriving without a car.

There is also a GNP-only annual pass available for $70. It used to be a better deal at $50 - I've purchased one before when my visit was going to be more than 7 days.

Also note that the weekly fee just went up to $35 per vehicle. (Still a great deal if you look at the per-person/per-day cost.)

Will you definitely be passing through an entry station your last day?

ETA: Apparently, MaryEllen's post went poof while I was typing - here's the link:

https:/…fees.htm

Edited: 12 June 2018, 07:08
Reply to: Afternoon arrival activity?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted