We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route

Auburn Hills...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Best Route

We are planning a trip to Utah in late May, Flying into SLC and then planning to drive to Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion National Parks. We will be flying back home from SLC. Our trip is for approximately 6 days. Looking for recommendations for making the most of our time there for site seeing and also in which order should we visit the parks.

4 replies to this topic
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,052 posts
131 reviews
1. Re: Best Route

Late May means Memorial Day long weekend? Best to avoid Zion if at all possible on the long weekend. Reservations for accommodations will be tough to get at this point in time.

The order from SLC for these three parks will be SLC-Zion-Bryce-Capitol Reef-SLC. Obviously you can do this loop in reverse to suit the timing.

This lodging article is your first priority place to start>> https:/…Lodging.Around.The.Grand.Circle.html

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,474 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Best Route

You can do this trip in the order provided by Widmarsh or in the reverse starting with Capitol Reef. Recommended night stays would be 2 to 3 nights Zion, 1 to 2 nights each for Bryce and Capitol Reef. Get to work immediately on making hotel reservations. Do that before you purchase air fare. If you are traveling over Memorial Day weekend, you may find it a real challenge getting hotel reservations. And yes, stay away from Zion that weekend. It will be nuts.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Best Route

You can drive to Southern Utah from SLC two main ways: using I-15 or heading down Spanish Fork Canyon through to Price.

I suggest turning at Spanish Fork and driving Hwy 6 through to Price, then take Hwy 10 (via Castle Dale) to I-70. At that point, CROSS OVER THE FREEWAY and continue south on Hwy 72 to the spectacular farmlands of Wayne County, Torrey and the gateway to Capitol Reef. This is a quieter drive and a bit more fun than just taking I-15.

After leaving Capitol Reef, drive Highway 12 to get to Bryce and Zion, through Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument. Highway 12 is one of the roads that you should never miss if you're nearby. (Highway 9, through Zion, is equally as stunning).

I suggest going this route because driving into Zion from Hwy 89 (Mt. Carmel) is really spectacular. When you're done, you'll want to turn around and do it again. (;

FYI, all three parks will be slammed that weekend. They always are.

Have a great trip!

*Pixie*

Edited: 21 March 2018, 23:55
Auburn Hills...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Best Route

Thank you so much for your suggestions, your route looks fabulous!!

Reply to: Best Route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Capitol Reef National...