We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Bakersfield to Grand Junction please help plan!!

Bakersfield...
5 posts
Road trip Bakersfield to Grand Junction please help plan!!

We are making a road trip to Grand Junction from Bakersfield next week and have no plans! I would like to stop in either Zion or Bryce and do a shuttle tour or drive through tour.

I would like to stay one day on the way there and one day on the way back.

I was hoping to take a day trip to Denver from Grand Junction, but that may be too much.

Can anyone make any suggestions for me.

We are a family of four. 😀😀

7 replies to this topic
Bakersfield...
5 posts
1. Re: Road trip Bakersfield to Grand Junction please help plan!!

We are leaving 6/13 or 6/14 and returning 6/19 or 6/20.

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
2. Re: Road trip Bakersfield to Grand Junction please help plan!!

Denver to Junction would be 9 hour round trip driving without traffic which can be bad from summit county to Denver depending on the day., its not really a day trip.

In Zion to see the main canyon there is a mandatory shuttle. You want to be there to park very early in the day, before 8, remember you lose an hour from Pacific time. The shuttle takes you up the canyon and you can get off various stops and see the overlooks or do the hikes. If you can stay in Springdale its the best, but you may be late to find a room there.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 22:12
utah
Level Contributor
3,419 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Road trip Bakersfield to Grand Junction please help plan!!

You won't have time to do much. Unless you can add a night for the drive on one of your legs, I'd skip Zion - the logistics of visiting Zion require several hours to see much of anything. Bryce would work adding a couple hours to a long drive.

You will be quite limited on lodging choices. Fortunately you have a lot of miles to choose from - to find lodging that isn't super expensive you'll probably want to stay somewhere with low demand like Beaver or Fillmore.

Bakersfield...
5 posts
4. Re: Road trip Bakersfield to Grand Junction please help plan!!

Thank you!

Bakersfield...
5 posts
5. Re: Road trip Bakersfield to Grand Junction please help plan!!

Thank you! I might look into staying two nights there or just skipping it altogether. I don’t know if my husband or I will feel up to driving after a long day.

utah
Level Contributor
3,419 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Road trip Bakersfield to Grand Junction please help plan!!

If you can do a total of 3-4 nights you open up a lot of options (vs 2 right now)

If you add a night so you are doing 2 nights either way you could do 1 of these:

1) Spend 2 nights in Springdale (probably on the way back). That would give you a long drive to Springdale, a day to see Zion, and then a 6 hour drive to Bakersfield the next day.

2) Spend 1 night in Bryce and 1 night in Capitol Reef (Torrey) That gives you a 1/2 day to see Bryce and a very scenic drive on rt 12 from Bryce ot Torrey. This would be better on the way there.

If you did a total of 4 nights you could to both of these.

Bakersfield...
5 posts
7. Re: Road trip Bakersfield to Grand Junction please help plan!!

I’m going to look into both of those! Thank you!

Reply to: Road trip Bakersfield to Grand Junction please help plan!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...