We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to see Arches?

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to see Arches?

I plan on a week long trip out to Arches. How many days do you recommend to see the park? We love short day hikes. I may fly into Grand Junction, travel to Arches and fly out of Salt Lake

city. Is there another park betwwen Arches and Salt lake to split up the time?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,083 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to see Arches?

When are you planning on visiting?

I think a week in Arches may be too much. If you add on Canyonlands, Lake Powell, then you will have a good trip. Also Natural Bridges Nat Mon, and maybe Mesa Verde.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,827 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to see Arches?

A week would give you lots of time to enjoy this area. You could see Arches in a day if you really wanted to, but two days for a casual look would work too- take every hike you hear about! And you'll want to schedule a time for a ranger led Fiery Furnace hike (they book out 1-2 days ahead).

But there is so much more to do there, take a river trip, rent a jeep or go on a back country tour in the Moab area. You'll want a day for Canyonlands Island in the Sky and Dead Horse Point parks. Then you could head over to Fisher Towers and the La Sal Mountains.

Going to I-15 via I-70 takes you over the San Rafael Swell west of Green River. Take a picnic and eat at the rest stop where you will really be amazed.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to see Arches?

Yes, I don't really think you need an entire week to just do Arches and driving from Grand Junction to SLC. There are many things I could recommend, but I'll go ahead and give it a shot...

Day 1: Fly into Grand Junction. Visit Colorado National Monument and Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Spend night in Montrose

Day 2: Drive the scenic Million Dollar Highway south through Ouray and Silverton. Spend night in Durango.

Day 3: Visit Mesa Verde National Park. Spend night in Cortez

Day 4: Drive to Moab and spend day exploring Island in the Sky District of Canyonlands National Park. Watch sunset from Dead Horse Point State Park. Spend night in Moab.

Day 5: Spend day exploring Arches National Park. Spend night in Moab.

Day 6: Spend morning in Arches National Park. In the early afternoon drive to Capitol Reef National Park and explore the area. Spend night in Torrey.

Day 7: Spend morning in Capitol Reef National Park. Drive to SLC

Like I said, there are many possible itineraries for a week between Grand Junction and SLC. I've made an itinerary that is a little less relaxed than some would like but also enables you to spend adequate times enjoying some of the best SW Colorad/SE Utah has to offer. Some of the best hikes in Arches include Delicate Arch, Landscape Arch, and the Fiery Furnace. In Capitol Reef, Hickman Bridge, Capitol Gorge, and Cassidy Arch are all great.

Sean

nyc
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to see Arches?

I would call and make sure you can do a one-way rental from Grand Junction to SLC. I haven't seen it offered online, and even if they did, I would call and make sure you're not in for a surprise.

5. Re: How much time to see Arches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 08:49