We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seawall vs. Blackwoods (Pt. 2)

Montreal
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seawall vs. Blackwoods (Pt. 2)

I have read many posts...and I'm getting more confused.

After looking at the Island Explorer, it would seem at certain times of day it could take over 1hr. & 1/2 to get from Bar Harbor to Seawall. Why does it take so long. And who wants to spend so much time on the bus when you should be hiking or biking or enjoying the outdoors?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seawall vs. Blackwoods (Pt. 2)

Of your two questions, I presume that the second largely is rhetorical. As to the first, I don't see a time that the outgoing shuttle from BH takes more than an hour to get to Seawall. Of course, if you continue to ride to the end of the line (Bernard) and then retrace the route to Seawall, the trip will be longer. An hour, given the distance; the number (ordinarily 8) of intervening stops; the prevailing speed limits; unscheduled stops to pick up or discharge passengers; and that none of drivers are Formula 1 veterans; is not unreasonable.

I can't speak for Route 7 users but it is clear that many, including myself, use the shuttle in order to access a trail at one point, hike through, and pick up another bus at the other end. Others simply use it to avoid having to drive their cars and face the limited parking within Acadia National Park.

Montreal
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seawall vs. Blackwoods (Pt. 2)

Thanks, cw...I was totally reading the schedule wrong. I was reading it as if I was traveling to the end of the line and then retracing. Much more reasonable travel times when I look at the schedule properly.

Now that it's cleared up, is Blackwood closer to many of the attractions that first time visitor would want to see?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seawall vs. Blackwoods (Pt. 2)

Yes, the Blackwoods campground is indeed much closer to everything. You can even conveniently walk out of the campground complex, across the highway, and up the south ridge trail of Cadillac Mountain. I think that's the most spectacular hike in the Park. You can then walk down the north ridge trail and catch a bus into Bar Harbor for a good lobster dinner. Then another bus back out to Blackwoods.

The camp sites in Blackwoods are nicely wooded with nice fire pits.

Montreal
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seawall vs. Blackwoods (Pt. 2)

Thanks Bonnie,

I am now wondering what is the attraction at Seawall campsite?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seawall vs. Blackwoods (Pt. 2)

Good question :)

There are a couple of factors, I think. Seawall is first-come, first-served whereas Blackwoods is, for most of the season filled by reservations. So it is more popular with spur-of-the-moment visitors or those who just want to maintain more flexibility. Seawall also is on what is termed "the quiet side" of the island---less tourist activity while still offering hiking and biking (and some good places to eat) nearby.

6. Re: Seawall vs. Blackwoods (Pt. 2)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 10:53
Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park