We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Flies

Lockport, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Black Flies

We will be in Acadia NP June 14, 15, 16. I've been told to beware of the black flies. Will they be out when we are visiting? Whats the best way to deal with them? Any suggestions.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Flies

You can search on black flies in the general Maine forum and get all sorts of information and advice.

Yes, they still will be here when you arrive. We have seen a few on our recent hikes, but nothing really bad.

They will be most concentrated around flowing water (from which they emerge as adults) and generally in lowlands and densely forested areas. They don't like wind, so more open areas (e.g., the ocean shore, higher elevations in the mountains) don't have very many.

Insect repellents do work---especially those containing DEET. I have heard that Skin So Soft lotion also works, as do dryer sheets (it's probably the same aromatic that they don't like). Light colored clothing also is supposed to attract fewer of them than does dark material. I used a "botanical" version of OFF the other day---it seemed to work OK, but also seemed to wear off more quickly than the stronger, DEET-containing types.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Flies

Another piece of advice: keep moving and try not to sweat.

Lockport, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Flies

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the other Forum.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
343 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Flies

Are they seasonal? How are they in September?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Flies

In this area at least, i.e., along the coast, they are highly seasonal. Generally, they disappear around the first week of July. After that, we just have mosquitoes---and unless we have a very wet summer, they aren't that much of a problem.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
343 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Flies

Thank you. Happy to know they won't be a problem.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Flies

bring some long-sleeved shirts made of thin fabric.

8. Re: Black Flies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 03:52
Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park