We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia: to RV or not RV ?

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Acadia: to RV or not RV ?

Planning 3 days in August in Acadia park.

Debating between tent camping and RV trip.

Which one is more recommended?

is it true that you cannot miss the greatest places in Arcadia if in RV because many roads are for privates only?

on the other hand, sleeping in a tent on a rainy night can be yack. how likely is it gonna rain in August?

thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
5 replies to this topic
conn
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acadia: to RV or not RV ?

Big RV's are kind of a problem in the park because of tight parking lots and yes it rains a lot

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Acadia: to RV or not RV ?

Thanks! not talking about huge bus-like but the usual RVs..

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acadia: to RV or not RV ?

None of the roads in the park are private. For what it's worth, the 'private' designation simply means that the road is privately maintained, i.e., the township, county, and state have no responsibility. Some such roads have other signs that suggest that they prefer you not go there.

Regular RVs don't have any particular problems in the park, save finding a parking spot sometimes at popular venues. Regular RVs can negotiate the Cadillac Summit Road; a couple of the curves require concentration and calm nerves.

Parking for RVs in the village of Bar Harbor is strictly limited to certain areas---when you drive our village streets, you will understand why. The RV areas are suitably signed.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,996 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acadia: to RV or not RV ?

It's not like those are the only two choices for lodging. Their are motels, B and Bs, cottage clusters, and hotels in all price ranges available on Mount Desert Island in Bar Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor or the countryside surrounding those villages. Each is about a 15 minute drive into Acadia.

https://acadiamagic.com/

Mentioned in this post
Mount Desert Island
Mount Desert Island
2,463 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acadia: to RV or not RV ?

We have camped in the Bar Harbor area twice with a tow-behind camper and chose campgrounds on the Island Explorer route. That way we could enjoy camping, not worry about driving and parking, and still get to where we wanted to go. Of course, with a tow-behind, we had a vehicle, but it's nice to take a break from driving when you're on vacation! :-)

Of course, their route doesn't go everywhere, so that's something for you to weigh in your decision.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Reply to: Acadia: to RV or not RV ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;