We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bushwalking in the Blue Mountains

USA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
bushwalking in the Blue Mountains

I will be returning to Australia for a third visit in December and spending a full week in Sydney between Christmas and New Year's (I'm so excited!!). I'm thinking about spending one of the days in the Blue Mountains once again. Given that my prior visits were to the Katoomba and Leura area, I'm looking at Wentworth Falls or Blackheath this time. Is one area more scenic than the other? I'm interested in taking the train from Sydney and then doing a 3-5 hour bushwalk / hike to explore a different area of the mountains. Any suggestion among the trails that involve the Grand Canyon, National Pass, or Govett's Leap? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
1,456 Reviews
Katoomba, Australia
Katoomba
Katoomba
Blue Mountains, Australia
Leura
Leura
Wentworth Falls
Wentworth Falls
1,057 Reviews
Katoomba, Australia
The National Pass
The National Pass
161 Reviews
Blue Mountains National Park, Australia
New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: bushwalking in the Blue Mountains

As an aside do remember the Royal National Park. In particular on a nice day take the train to Otford and then walk down to the beach. It is about an hour walk down and you need to take all your own food and drink.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: bushwalking in the Blue Mountains

Also consider a day out to Evans Crown. XPT to Tarana (booking required, departs around 07:00), alight at tiny little Tarana, morning tea at the pub, complete the walk and then return for lunch. Take the late afternoon train back into Sydney

http://tourism.lithgow.com/bushwalks/

www.nswtrainlink.info

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
USA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: bushwalking in the Blue Mountains

Thanks for your suggestions, Wayoutback99. Will add to my list of things to possibly do.

USA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: bushwalking in the Blue Mountains

Inas66, thanks again for the tip on OpenStreetMap. I spent some time playing around with it today and it's awesome. I gathered from the maps that it's possible for me to finish up the National Pass hike and then continue on to Sublime Point in Leura. Given that I will be there at the end of December, I am interested in taking advantage of the longer daylight hours. There is not much information, at least that I can gather, on this route. Have you done it? How is the scenery? How difficult is the trail?

Mentioned in this post
The National Pass
The National Pass
161 Reviews
Leura
Leura
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: bushwalking in the Blue Mountains

Be careful. National Pass, Wentworth Falls, Charles Darwin are all fine, signposted and well traversed.

You can walk to Leura next to the Golf course. It's a fairly dull walk, but doable. You can walk from the Fairmont along the street or path to Sublime Point.

Think twice before going down to the valley along some path scratched in OSM. That's how tragedies start. I'd want minimum GPS, PLB, mobile, food, water, protection before doing that. And I wouldn't be chasing the dark.

Mentioned in this post
The National Pass
The National Pass
161 Reviews
Wentworth Falls
Wentworth Falls
1,057 Reviews
Katoomba, Australia
Leura
Leura
USA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: bushwalking in the Blue Mountains

Thanks again Inas66. You've help us reach a decision on a day in the Blue Mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
1,456 Reviews
Katoomba, Australia
17. Re: bushwalking in the Blue Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2017, 09:46