We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach parking at Winterton on Sea

Suffolk, United...
2 posts
Beach parking at Winterton on Sea

I've calmed down enough to write this post. A friend and I intended to visit the wonderful Dune Cafe last week, unfortunately, we were unable to park at the car park as Campervans and Motorhomes are discriminated against and we were turned away. It was nothing to do with size as our campervans(both short wheel base vehicles) but she had allowed a 52/3 seater bus to park there. Also, the charges have been considerably increased to £1.50 an hour, total greed on the part of the woman running the car park and Dune Cafe lost our trade. Feeling very sad as one of the places I love to visit.

3 replies to this topic
Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Beach parking at Winterton on Sea

For information, the owner of the car par has previously apologised on another forum for this restriction which, as you say, is not just about the size of vehicle. It’s a combination of Borough Council planning consent limitations for this privately-owned land (overnight parking not permitted) and “the minority spoiling it for the majority". Motor homes used to be allowed but there were instances of the occupants attempting to stay the night by not returning to their vehicles before the evening lock-up, refusing to leave, or pleading that the driver had consumed too much alcohol to be fit to drive… with consequent verbal abuse.

She previously said that “the lady at the gate would [should?] have advised you of the few large spaces in front of the Village Hall, big enough to accommodate large motor homes”.

It seems to be the way of the world these days that there are all sorts of things you can no longer do because a small bunch of undisciplined folk have spoiled it for everyone else.

I won’t comment about the fairness of the charges, except to hope that the owner is mindful of the need to keep them low enough to reduce the temptation for visitors to clog up the narrow streets of the village rather than pay for the convenience of parking nearer to the beach.

[PS: my location shows Surrey, but my brother lives in Winterton].

Suffolk, United...
2 posts
2. Re: Beach parking at Winterton on Sea

Thank you for your reply. It's good to know there is alternative parking available, shame the information was withheld!

3. Re: Beach parking at Winterton on Sea

30/10/18 the car park at Winterton Dunes was closed because "fishermen need access 24 hours". The chaos this caused because all the vehicles arriving had to turn round in the restricted space available caused by other vehicles parked all down the side of the access road and at the top end by the beach cafe was dreadful. We observed one fishermans shed door open and no boats at all, and goodness knows where you would launch a boat from anyway. The owners decision to close the car park seems to be just that. Maybe he didn't have anyone to man the kiosk. Who knows? The fact that it is privately owned seems to be quite wrong in any case. It is cliff top and as such should be the responsibility of the council and should be accessible to all, not just fishermen or any other organisation chosen on a whim. The way it is being run at the moment it appears it is only open consistently during the summer months for maximum profit and the fishermens' plight will receive no consideration whatsoever if there is a good profit to be made.

Reply to: Beach parking at Winterton on Sea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Winterton-on-Sea