We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mirissa warnings again...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,791 posts
231 reviews
Mirissa warnings again...

sundaytimes.lk/150927/news/mirissa-attack-a-…

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
104 reviews
11. Re: Mirissa warnings again...

Scoobydooby

Regarding the drunk comment: Intoxicated people have limited capabilities for planning anything much. Getting a tuk tuk and following the couple sounds like a plan to me.

Regarding the "local origin" comment: As one who was born in country one and lived in two other countries [ one of them being Sri Lanka] before settling in country four and regarding each one of them as "home" along the way, I have difficulty answering the question, "Where do you come from?" succinctly as I have taken on aspects of the language, cultural values and beliefs from all of these different cultures and cannot be separated from them. This question often has the unsaid one of "Why don't you go back where you came from?" behind it. I usually answer saying I originated in country W and ended up here in country Z. There are very many people who will understand the trouble I have with this question and giving a reasonable answer to it.

So no slight was intended at all.

Regards

Archi

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
12. Re: Mirissa warnings again...

Another way to look at these sub standard nightclubs is that they are practically "private parties thrown by local beach boys" to which, foreigners are allowed to join in.

And there is another common weird mentality at most of these places. That particular mentality - or animalistic ideology- revolves around the basis that all females who visit the club belongs to the club. Any outsider or any other foreign male that dares to befriend the female guests of the disco are seen as invasive violators that need to be beaten up etc

The recent Mirissa incident could have been a case where the local hosts of the club got worked up when an "alcohol consuming female guest" at their party had the nerve to leave the premises with another male.

Then you get the dangerous stereotyping where any white female who likes to travel and consume alcohol late in the night is assumed to be promiscuous catch.

Edited: 02 October 2015, 12:56
13. Re: Mirissa warnings again...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Mirissa
Recent Conversations