We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Mirissa

Sweden
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in Mirissa

Hi, going to stay in Mirissa for a week in January. Wonder about the snorkeling possiblities at that time? I've been there before, then in August, and then the sea was too rough for snorkeling, but I understand it will be calmer in January? Also read that maybe the only snorkeling directly at the beach should be around the big rock at the end of the largest bay in Mirissa. Is that true, or is it possible too snorkle at the smallest of the three bays on the east side of the beach? As the waves are smaller there.

Otherwise, is a snorkle trip with a company in the area another option? What does that cost, and is it worth it?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,863 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in Mirissa

Hi there,

Sea should be calm yes. Hope someone with more close experience can help with the other questions.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in Mirissa

yes sea is much calmer than in august, but occasionally a bit wavy.

And yes, snorkeling is possible on both sides of the big rock (called Giragala/parrotRock) a lot more on the left side of the rock, swim all the way to the left end of the lagoon and you can see plenty of corals and fish underneath you.

There are also couple of beaches not too far from Mirissa beach where you can snorkel (Thalaramba/Kaburugamuwa) But if you want some very good snorkeling, take a tuk tuk and go to Polhena, its around 10-15 minutes tuk tuk ride from Mirissa, there you get a lovely reef with lots of beautiful corals and plenty of fish and turtles and couple of rays.

Edited: 28 September 2015, 13:44
Sweden
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in Mirissa

Thank you both for your answers..

ShawnWithCaterina, do you mean left of Parrot Rock if I stand on the beach facing the ocean? So I should swim to the left end of the lagoon left of the rock, like the middle of the three bays/lagoons in the beach area if you know what I mean? Or all the way to the third (eastern) lagoon?

Thanks for your advice, Polhena sounds very interesting, maybe we'll try that too.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in Mirissa

yes, left of parrot rock if you stand facing the ocean :)

5. Re: Snorkeling in Mirissa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Mirissa
Recent Conversations