We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in September

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Weather in September

Hi,

I am planning on travelling to Sri Lanka at the start of September visiting Yala and then for a beach stay at Mirissa.

Could anyone give me any advice on what the weather would be like?

After researching this I have been reading conflicting views and obviously don't want to stay at Mirissa if rain is likely. If September is not good could anyone suggest the best time to visit?

Thanks in advance.

Luke

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in September

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c176578/Sri-L…

Hans

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in September

The problem in Mirissa in september is not the rain, it may rain, it may not. But despite, the sea is way too rough. So if you want crystal clear waters and safe bathing and snorkeling in September: then you need to go to the east coast - Nilaveli, Uppuveli etc and Pigeon Island for snorkeling.

If your heart is set on Mirissa, then the best time to visit is from December to April.

3. Re: Weather in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 12:37
London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in September

Hi there.You say that the seas in Sept. in Mirissa are pretty rough.Does that mean there are no whale tours? I will be going to S.Lanka mid-sept.

Edited: 03 August 2015, 00:27
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,932 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in September

That's a different question. I'd say 30% chance of a boat going. Part of the cancellations is indeed due to the often rough sea, and another part of them is by too few people turning up (booking the day before) and hence the minimum needed not being reached. But those 30% do have reasonable chances of seeing. An alternative is Trinco, where seas are calm and whalewatch tours run July-Aug and often also into September.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in September

Thank you very much Erik & Sandya.Much appreciated.

7. Re: Weather in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2016, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Mirissa