We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help appreciated 7 to 9 nights in Sicily

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
94 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help appreciated 7 to 9 nights in Sicily

We fly into Catania late June 2017 to embark on a 6 week trip around Sicily, Southern Italy, Croatia and Santorini - feeling VERY excited and lucky. I understand Sicily is huge and advice is it's a 2 week destination, however I can only allocate 6 to 8 nights max. We want to see the Valley of the Temples, Realmonte, sample a few stunning beaches, experience Modica and Ragusa and Noto. We'll have a car. We'll need accomodation with a pool or very very close to a beach. Question is...which areas to stay in and for how long ? Should I be looking for 2 bases (3 nights each), the first around Modica maybe and the second around Agrigento ? I was hoping for one in-land base and one coastal base (so we experience a beautiful beach), am I on the right track and if we do a beach location for 3 nights, which southern beach town should I be thinking about ? thanks so much !

Mentioned in this post
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Modica
Modica
Sicily, Italy
Ragusa
Ragusa
Sicily, Italy
Noto
Noto
Sicily, Italy
Agrigento
Agrigento
Sicily, Italy
2 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help appreciated 7 to 9 nights in Sicily

hi: i'm sure you will receive excellent guidance from destination expert Vagabonda...i just wanted to mention that if you can plan 8 nights, then do so. 6 nights is very little time and 2 extra nights is huge when traveling -- and the amount of destinations you are wishing to experience, you will need at least 8 nights. You have 5 destinations and at least 2 beaches in only a week....Vagabonda once told me "you don't need to see all the Val di Noto baroque towns" and she was correct.

So perhaps take a breath and prioritize your Sicily adventure.....remember that 2 nights somewhere does not equal 2 days; it is 1-1.5 days and that's because you have to get there from your previous destination. Travel time needs to be included in between each change and it's always more than the train/bus schedule or the posted driving time. Plan 1/2 day and if you arrive early, so much the better. EDIT--your title says 7-9 nights but your post states 6-8 nights. How many nights do you have for Sicily.....

Edited: 07 November 2016, 09:07
Mentioned in this post
Noto
Noto
Sicily, Italy
Dublin
Level Contributor
312 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help appreciated 7 to 9 nights in Sicily

I think you wanted to post this in the Sicily forum not Sicili.

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Reply to: Itinerary help appreciated 7 to 9 nights in Sicily
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sicili