We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

We cant seem to decide on which of these towns to stay at for a weekend. We do need people around and love to people watch and have a few drinks but not huge partiers . Did look at Playa del Coco but that may be too wild for us. Worried that Samara may be too quiet without any other towns close by. Any opinions?

Smokin Pig
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Bar, Costa Rican, American
El Castillo
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, American, Bar, Seafood
Casa Celeste
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Italian, Pizza
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

I like Playa Hermosa…I even used to own a house there…nice but I do prefer Samara…I love the beach…the town…PH really does not offer a town…

My choice SAMARA!!

roadadvisor

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

Thanks for the advice! Is there lots of evening entertainment in Samara?

Places where middle age can go and have fun ?

south western...
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

I am wondering the same thing - Playa Hermosa or Samara. Samara sounds more our style, but we want to be able to explore the area with daytrips, either with tours or our own rental. Which location would best for that? We want to see volcanoes, jungle, birds, butterflies, waterfalls etc. Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
692 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

Both places are beautiful but I say Hermosa or Playas del Coco. Coco is not too "wild" unless you want to be wild. Coco is a great place to make "home base" while doing tours and sight seeing around the area. Coco is where you can find rentals (condos, hotels, all inclusive villas) for all budgets and it's a flat town so it's easy to walk and bike around. You can also rent a golf cart by the day or week or a car right in town. There are restaurants and souvenir shops and places to help book tours for you and give you info, and it's only 25 minutes away from the Liberia airport. To see photos of Playas del Coco, taken by locals, see here - https:/…

See my own photos taken mostly on the water (and underwater!) around the Gulf of Papagayo - https://goo.gl/Oh8pPQ

Follow local weather here - https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Playas del Coco
Playas del Coco
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Liberia Airport
Liberia Airport
Liberia, Costa Rica
Gulf of Papagayo
Gulf of Papagayo
Knowlton, Canada
Level Contributor
975 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

There are at least a dozen bars/restaurants in Samara where you can find evening entertainment, including Lo Quay Hay, Microbar Samara, Bar Arriba, Coco's Restaurant, Gusto's and Tabanuco (a dance club on the beach). Best to start at one of those places and see where the action takes you. You can check the schedule at the Samara Info Center for details on bands or look at flyers posted around town. It's a compact, very walkable town, so very easy to find where the action is any particular night.

Donegal;PA
Level Contributor
325 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

I have personally stayed in Hermosa twice and was very pleased. That being said we always rent a car when we vacation in Costa Rica and Coco is only a very short distance away so we had the option of going to to the more lively places in Coco and the peace and quiet of our house rental up on a hillside in Hermosa. There is an excellent tour company in Hermosa called Tico Tours Guanacaste, check them out here on Trip Advisor. Recommend Palo Verde River tour and we loved the one day Nicaragua tour.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tico Tours Guanacaste
Tico Tours Guanacaste
461 Reviews
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

From Samara you can drive to Ostional beach…and see the hundreds of turtles that arrive there almost every night…the beach offer great sand quality…you can try some snorkeling at isle Chora….

roadadvisor

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

Is it safe to drive from Playa Hermosa to Coco after dark? It seems close enough I am thinking it should be fine but I have heard it is unsafe to travel at night. Thoughts anyone? Thanks so much for the help deciding !

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

You would be fine driving that road after dark. It is paved, well-marked, and it is a short trip.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Hermosa Guanacaste or Samara?

Thanks so much for all the help. One more question: Is it realistic to make a day trip from Tamarindo to Samara? Or will that be too far to travel there and back in one day ?

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Get answers to your questions about Playa Potrero
More Playa Potrero Topics