We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potrero vs samara

Revelstoke
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Potrero vs samara

Travelling to CR in October and am looking at vacation rentals either in samara or Potrero. Have two young children (3 and 6months). Wondering which area would be better... Obviously don't need a lot of nightlife but would like ability to eat out occasionally and take the kids to the beach.

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
940 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potrero vs samara

I would pick Samara over Potrero, particularly if you have small children. Sheltered beach, quiet town with enough amenities, easily walkable. It is a bit further from the airport in Liberia, but I would say that is the only downside.

Revelstoke
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Potrero vs samara

Thanks!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Potrero vs samara

I would take Brasilito area over both (close to potrero) . Def Samara over Potrero as not much in Potrero but Brasilito is the perfect mix of tico and tourist and has the best tourist beach and one of the nicest in all Costa Rica. Lots of inexpensive places to stay here for example we have bnb at our house $fifty a night

Westchester ny
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potrero vs samara

Would highly recommend Samara for a more family type vacation. Been to both locations and this is where I would go if I had children.

Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Potrero vs samara

I haven't been to Samara, but it does seem to be the most highly recommended beach for families on this forum. That said, I just returned from Playa Potrero with my family (kids 4 and 6), and I didn't regret choosing it over Samara or any other beach. For me, being closer to the airport was a big win, and in Potereo I was able to be in a beautiful house steps from the beach, another huge win on convenience with kids. You don't see many other people on the beach, which I like but others may not. The water was swimmable for my kids, but waves did get rougher at high tide. We were able to walk to numerous restaurants and to a beachfront hotel where I took a yoga class and, later, got a massage. I found plenty of what I was looking for in Playa Potrero. Depending on what you're looking for, don't necessarily rule it out! (Also the nearby Flamingo and Brasilito areas might be worth looking at.)

6. Re: Potrero vs samara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2017, 21:48
Get answers to your questions about Playa Potrero
More Playa Potrero Topics