We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rice Field

Michigan
Level Contributor
134 posts
24 reviews
Rice Field

We will be in Chiang Mai in the beginning of July. Are there any picturesque rice fields we could visit?

4 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,420 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Rice Field

This is Oxymoron... as Chiang Mai is a city so you would have to go out of the city. So you would need a driver.

If you want to drop picturesque part then They are some in San Sai. Now I am testing my self as I not sure when they plant and harvest. I ride past them all the time. The issue the back drop will be hundred of "Moo Baans". If you start at Home Pro San Sai On you left is Soi 16 if you cross the road and drive down along that road,on your left is small school and at the junction on your right is temple along that road are rice fields

Chok Dee

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Rice Field

John, Chiang Mai is also a Province :)

It really depends on your definition of picturesque, there are rice fields everywhere, even in Chiang Mai city. If you envision broad expanses of rice, with trees and mountains behind you need to head out of town with by car. Most local drivers will know several rural roads to try and by July there should be plenty of emerald green paddies.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Rice Field

Hi

It is the rainy season will be lots of greenery and rice fields.

Many people in the west think the rice fields will be on terraces going up the hill. Not in Thailand. The rice fields are in the valleys between the mountains. On the mountains will be fruit orchards and corn fields, tea and coffee .and vegetable gardens

All very picturesque

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Rice Field

Do a search on "Pa Pong Pieng, Mae Chaem". Many big rice terraces to the west of Doi Inthanon National Park, about 2-3 hours (day trip) SW of Chiang Mai city. In July they will have recently planted with hopefully some well-irrigated watery reflective terraces and thousands of green rice sprouts. At its most lush and bright green more like September but July would still be scenic.

Reply to: Rice Field
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted