We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose without a car?

Abingdon, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
San Jose without a car?

Hi,

We're looking for somewhere to stay - self-catering - in June on the south coast of Spain and one possibility is San Jose. From what we can see on-line it ticks most of our boxes: not a high rise nightmare, not an isolated apartment complex with no local character, good beaches nearby; a range of restaurants to try! One question we had was how practical would it be to manage without a car? Specifically, how much would a transfer from the airport cost; can you get to some of the beaches along the coast away from the village; and would it be possible to travel further afield to Granada etc?

Any other thoughts on staying there in June would, of course, be welcome :-)

Thanks!

MD

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
24,223 posts
292 reviews
1. Re: San Jose without a car?

May be fine. I stayed last September with car and drove to the famous beaches west of the town but during the summer there are shuttle buses from the town.

From the airport it would necessary to take the airport bus into Almeria city bus station which is along side the railway. Then a bus to San Jose is

autocaresbernardo.com/index.php/en/regular-l…

The ride to Granada is easy enough by train from Almeria. See times on www.renfe.com

Probably an alternative bus is available.

A good hotel opposite the bus/train stations is the NH Ciudad de Almeria

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187429-d2759…

Abingdon, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: San Jose without a car?

Thanks! Can I ask what you thought of San Jose? Slightly worried it is too small - maybe lacks a centre?

We're not looking for a big city atmosphere but it would be nice if there was some sort of local heart to the place!

Thanks again

London, United...
Level Contributor
24,223 posts
292 reviews
3. Re: San Jose without a car?

Well it is quite small but a variety of places to eat or have a drink not only in the town part but also surrounding the bay. I would not say that it was an idyllic village or that after a day or two you would wish to move on but it would make a good base if you want some outdoor activities and are prepared to walk. I could imagine being a bit of a hippy and spending an entire day on Genoveses beach having bought an umbrella and extra beach things ! The water is normally very clear and so good for swimming. The town beach is really used more for launching kayaks and sail boats etc. Almeria city is nice with its dominating fort. This pdf tourist map lists the hotels and other things and may give you an idea of whats there

http://www.cabodegata-nijar.com/mapa/mapa.pdf

Abingdon, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
4. Re: San Jose without a car?

Thanks again - I like the map!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
5. Re: San Jose without a car?

If you are looking for somewhere entirely different from normal tourist places, San José is a great choice. Outside July, Augsust and early September it is pretty quiet and relaxed and its alternative vibe shines through. The parque natural, which is easy to access by foot, as long as you don't mind a bit of walking, defines local character which is dominated by unspoilt nature. The beautiful beaches are a reason alone to go there. For a first stay you could easily manage without car, though you could see more of coast and have easy access to Granada if you did.

Transfer by bus is probably a little cumbersome but quite easy from airport. If you're a group, it would be easy to take a taxi.

There are fantastic places to eat in San José and quite a few ordinary, if ok ones. The best are recently reopened restaurant Iruña in village centre and El Jardin at port, as well as places directly at marina.

Hope you'll go. I'm sure you'll like it.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
4 posts
87 reviews
6. Re: San Jose without a car?

San Jose with or without a car is not a place I would reccomend, have just been. It does have isolated beaches without the mass tourism and high rise but I found it one of the most unatractive areas I have ever visited in Europe, was shocked by what we drove through to get there and very disappointed woth what we found compared to the write ups we read.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
72,803 posts
3,830 reviews
7. Re: San Jose without a car?

MD:

I have been to San Jose and would not stay there because it is too small and I would be bored. There is little to see besides the good beach.

Abingdon, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
8. Re: San Jose without a car?

Thanks again. When we thought it through we actually decided to go to a larger larger resort as San Jose seemed TOO peaceful for us!

MD

Reply to: San Jose without a car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Jose