We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose in March

south western...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
74 reviews
San Jose in March

Hi

We are driving from Murica to Granada and thought on the way back to Murcia we would stop in San Jose and go to the park. Will there be anything open at that time? Can you suggest a hotel with free parking and perhaps some nice views?

12 replies to this topic
Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: San Jose in March

We love San Jose BUT in March it is absolutely dead - most restaurants do not open until Easter.

MC San José is the best hotel location wise but I am not sure that it is open year round.

Edited: 25 January 2011, 13:23
south western...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: San Jose in March

Ok, thanks - good to know. Can you suggest another place to stop between Murcia and Granada? It's our first trip to Spain. We are spending five days in Madrid, then flying to Murcia. From there we are renting a car and driving to Granada, overnight there, and back to Murcia. So we're looking for an interesting place to stop. The Cayo de Gato park interests me, or any other place that is more representative of rural Spain (even though we speak no Spanish, so communication may be difficult)

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: San Jose in March

The Cabo de Gata is lovely - although somewhat wild in Winter.

Few places have a great deal of accommodation options out of season - why not consider staying in Almeria city which is only 30 minutes drive from the start of the Natural Park.

Garrucha just east of Mojacar has several hotels that may be open and is an interesting/ very Spanish Spanish working fishing port (some great Fish restaurants). You can reach the Cabo is well under an hour.

The Axarquia area east of Malaga is fascinating - both coastal and inland - and convenient for visiting Granada but, sadly, a long drive from Murcia Airport (3 hours plus).

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,851 posts
3,813 reviews
4. Re: San Jose in March

Roquetas de Mar is a beautiful resort in Almeria. Cabo de Gata is not too far away. Most hotels will have a tour of Cabo de Gata.

San Jose, Spain
Level Contributor
65 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: San Jose in March

Hi - I live here in San Jose all year round, I've been here for over 10 years. It is NOT absolutely dead in March, there are places open (although Monday is not a good day to come, I must admit!). It is a fantastic place and well worth a visit. The flowers in the Parque Natural de Cabo de Gata are starting to appear, the sky is blue - I wouldn't be anywhere else. Depending on how long you want to stay and how much you want to spend, there are various hotels or aparthotels open all year round. If you want to contact me directly, I can give you more information.

Iberia
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: San Jose in March

Hi,

I agree, San Jose is very nice in March and the Nature Park of Cabo de Gata-Nijar offers some nice walking routes:

www.topwalks.net/en/cabo_gata_nijar.htm

You can check the route descriptions, maps, GPS waypoints, driving instructions, road maps and photographs on the above mentioned web.

wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: San Jose in March

hi

we are coming to stay in san jose at the end of march to explore the area for a week. we are planing to visit , murcia, cartagena, mazarron and aguilas. could you recommened any other places , restaurants etc .

also with you being a local could you advise us on temperatures at the moment in regard to clothing we will need . look forward to you reply . thanks

south western...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
74 reviews
8. Re: San Jose in March

We are back from Spain and unfortunately did not get to San Jose. But we did drive through the area and it's lovely. We stayed in Mojacar and went through Cartagena. I would suggest a good road map or GPS as we got lost!

Mojacar, Spain
Level Contributor
28 posts
451 reviews
9. Re: San Jose in March

Hi. I've just had a couple of weeks up the coast near Villaricos and we like the area. We had a day trip down to Cabo del Gata and loved the area; in particular we thought San Jose would suit us really well next year as we like under-developed small towns with character. We have a dog and love country walks with him. We also like to eat out in the evening. Do you know of a rental property (1 or 2 bedrm) within walking distance of the town's restaurants that also has open countryside nearby where we can walk the dog ? If not a specific property then perhaps which part of town would be best for us to research. Many thanks

San Jose, Spain
Level Contributor
65 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: San Jose in March

Hi - contact me directly with your dates and I'll send you details of what we have available. Nina

Reply to: San Jose in March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Jose