We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palakkad - Valparai - Athirapalli - Thrissur

Chennai, India
3 posts
Save Topic
Palakkad - Valparai - Athirapalli - Thrissur

Hi,

I am planning for a trip from Palakkad to Valaparai and enroute is given in the subject on 1st and 2nd of May(1 Night and @ day). We are 6 adults and would like to know more about the road,accomodation and route. Also I would like to cover Topslip also(Pollaci _ Topslip). We are planning to stay in valparai. We will start on May 1st morning and have to return on 2nd evening

Please advice.

Thanks

Prasad T

Chennai
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palakkad - Valparai - Athirapalli - Thrissur

Hi Prasad, I almost did this route a year ago. From Palaghat, you can go via Coimbatore to pollachi and from pollachi, you can climb up to Valparai. Enroute, you can visit monkey falls (if it is monsoon, it may have water), Azhiyar Dam. Valparai is unexplored yet beautiful. I loved this small hill station a lot. Accommodation at Valparai is mediocre. There are couple of average hotels. If you are not looking for 3* or 4*, that is fine. At Valparai, you can spend a day for the weather and visit Sholayar (upper and lower) Dam.

There is a route from Valparai through Kerala's reserved forest area (allowed for public to drive through. But, you may not find many vehicles in this route. No signals for your phone. The route is exotic.). By this route, you can reach Vazhchal Falls and Athirampalli Falls directly.

After spending time at these falls, you can descend to Chalakudi, from where you can drive to Thrissur.

About Topslip/Parambikulam, it is a detour from Pollachi. That is, from valparai, you have to get down to Pollachi and proceed towards udumalpet road and climb up to reach Top slip. Top slip is Tamil nadu area and Parambikulam is Kerala area. Parambikulam has much better facilities than Top slip. You can ONLY stay at Govt's guest houses there. And, you have to leave your vehicle at the border gate and take the Kerala government's mini van to tour the sanctuary. The Sanctuary also offers camping and other accommodation options like tree house etc. You can look upto Parambikulam's website for details. Inside the sanctuary, there is a dam as well.

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palakkad - Valparai - Athirapalli - Thrissur

Hi Prasad

A couple of minor corrections to Bala's post.

(1) You can get to Pollachi directly from Palghat. Coimbatore is further down the Pollachi road. The route is Palakad - Sultanpet - Elapully - Kolinjamparai - Gopalapuram - Ponnayur - Uthukkuli - Pollachi. The distance is just 45 odd Kms and is well connected by buses / cabs.

(2) Do not bother about Hotels stay at Valparai. The estate bungalow stays are awesome and there are options to suit every budget.

(3) As Bala said, you will need to get back to Pollachi to go to Topslip, but not on the Udumalpet highway. You will need to take the Annamalai highway from Pollachi to get to Topslip. The Udumalpet highway leads to Munnar.

I would suggest after you get to Pollachi, do the topslip segment first, gt back to Pollachi, proceed to Valparai and from there to Athirampally and over to Trichur. See a related post for more info.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297675-i7547-k332…

Hope it helps

regards

Rajan

Edited: 06 October 2010, 06:20
Chennai
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palakkad - Valparai - Athirapalli - Thrissur

Thanks for those corrections. I actually did the trip from Coimbatore. And, after this itinerary, I also did a Coimbatore - Munnar - Cochin once. So, that's where I confused with the routes. Now, I remember the bunglows in Valparai!!

4. Re: Palakkad - Valparai - Athirapalli - Thrissur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 12:45
Get answers to your questions about Kalpetta