We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

hi,

We are due to fly into bangkok this Fri and then on to Karon on Tues, do you recommend avoiding Thailand completelyat the moment due to the earthquakes?

Really hard to get good advice.

Thank you

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,082 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

Hi.

I don't think earthquakes will be a problem in Thailand this weekend.

Cheers

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,193 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

I don't think so either. Happy travels.

3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2012, 02:35
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

In a way andy53 is right to mock about those things. How can we know, if there will be an earthquake in Sumatra, if there will be a tsunami or if it will be raining?

I am p.o. myself how the International media is always painting a general horror scenario, not sticking to facts.

Facts:

Earthquake: itself in Thailand is no major problem

Tsunami: I was impressed how well the warning system plus the local authorities worked today. Not that I was ever worried, but I really feel save now after this latest 'incident'.

Arriving Friday: it is Songkran - Thai New Year. So your only real concern should be not getting soaked before getting into your hotel room. Go out and enjoy the fun!

And enjoy your holiday in Thailand!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

From all reports on Aus media, there is no danger now . The Plates whih moved in this quake was in a different direction to the ones that caused the Tsunami in 2004, hense not creating one, so hopefully that means even after shocks will be in same direction. Keep an eye on reports, but dont let it ruin your holiday

Michelle

Edited: 12 April 2012, 02:21
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

I'm not sure TA is the right forum to get professional seimological advice. What does the Foreign Office have to say about it I wonder. If it's of any help, if it were me I'd still go.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,923 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

The FCO has withdrawn the Tsunami warning for Thailand and reverted to its previos position. See fco.gov.uk/en/…thailand

No reason whatsoever to avoid Thailand because of the earthquake. The warning systems were in place. They worked.

8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2012, 03:35
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,923 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

Easy to say from where you are! Very easy to be wise, or stupid, after the event. You obviously can't understand how the the terrible events of 8 years ago and the loss of so many lives can still strike fear into peoples hearts.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Thailand on Friday?

I agree Arandora, it would have brought back so many frightening memories for them all, of their family's and friends that they lost on that dreadful morning, our thoughts are with all our Thai friends. We now only have 13 days before Daz and I catch up with them.