We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

RI
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

We are two 50 + adults planning to visit the second week of May 2014. We will be arriving in Johannesburg airport and would like to visit the Cradle of Humankind. We have particular interest in Lion Park and caves, a hot air balloon ride and Lesedi Village. We will not have our own vehicle, so we will need to secure a shuttle to get us to the area.

Does this seem feasible regarding time and transportation?

Can you suggest reasonably priced transportation and accommodation?

Any other suggestions for a smooth transition from point to point? Any suggestions for itinerary?

Thank you in advance...

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

Please please please reconsider visiting the Rhino and Lion Park where cub petting takes place. I do not know if these cubs are subsequently destined for the canned hunting trade but ANY establishment offering the exploitative practice of cub petting is directly contributing to the ongoing abomination that is the eventual on-selling of cubs to be shot in enclosures by 'trophy' hunters in the canned hunting industry or the misery of a lifetime of confinement for these magnificent animals.

There is more than enough information on this forum (see the pinned thread on the right hand side of the page: 'the reality of cub petting') to reveal the sad truth of these places. Or just google 'canned hunting' - but be prepared for the horrific nature of what you will see.

There will be a global March in March for the call to end canned hunting and general trophy hunting of lions and other exploitation of lions. There are more lions being bred in South Africa to take a bullet after they have earnt their owners money pimping them out to tourists than there are wild lions. What a terribly sad indictment that is. Please do not contribute to it.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

I deed never visit the Lion park. The Rhion&Lion park is another park and much better.

Rent a car before Avis, and not here when hou ade already in SA

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

Hi there,

I am involved in conservation and am asking you sincerely to please do further research before taking part in the Lion Park. These places are not by any means 'conservation', even though this is what you are lead to believe.

The cubs are taken from their mothers at an extremely young age (1-2 weeks) and hand raised by staff members and a batch of volunteers who believe they are helping.

They are put on show for tourists to touch and cuddle, which makes them extremely used to humans; Their natural fear is removed.

Then, once the lions get 'too big' to be safely played with, they are put to holding pens where they are fed to be as big as possible.

Once they have reached a reasonable size, they are then shipped off to hunting farms. Still without their fear of humans due to the purposefully done cuddling and touching, they are not afraid of the men walking in the bush with their guns, and instead of fleeing like a wild lion would 99% of the time, they laze around - the hunter takes his shot and kills the lion.

Please do not support these 'conservation' projects.

Here is a real life article of one volunteer's experience at a lion park;

…wordpress.com/real-life-experiences/…

Make your own mind up of course, but please do take some time to read the above, and also check out the mentioned topic before you support these projects.

Warm regards

Jacqui Sive l Owner l Lodge Trackers l South Africa

RI
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

Thank you, Annemeike. You are right. I am speaking of the Lion and Rhino Reserve where the Sterkfontein caves are located. I certainly don't want to add to any exploitation in the Lion Park indicated by several responses I have gotten here. My interest is the caves. The other site here we were trying to see is the Lesedi Village. We are also interested in enjoying a hot air balloon ride. Again, since we will not have our own vehicle, we would need a way to get to these places.

So, are there any suggestions for timing? If we stay overnight in the Cradle of Humankind area, will it be easy to go from Lesedi Village to the Sterkfontein Caves? What is the shuttle system like once in that area? Thank you, in advance....

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

There are two sets of caves, open to the public in the cradle of humankind.

Sterkfontein Caves, which are not in the Rhino and Lion Park, and Wonder caves which are in the Rhino and Lion Park.

AFAIK, there is no scheduled shuttle service operating within the "Cradle, and its various sites/attractions.

Hire a car and self drive, or book the services of one of the many companies which offer this type of service.... Google is your friend

RI
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

Thank you, Gavin. Would like to do both cave sites if possible. Are they much the same or will we have a different experience with each one? I thought it would be better to stay overnight in the area to see those sights without having to go back and forth into Johannesburg. Do you know if getting a taxi will be feasible while in that area? Any suggestions as to the best way to enjoy what that area has to offer?

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

I just want to clarify that I was referencing the Rhino and Lion Park in my comments where they engage in lion and tiger cub petting exploitation.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

Petting takes place at both the Lion Park, and The Rhino and Lion Park.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

One's best, most convenient, and probably cheapest option for moving around the Cradle area and Lesedi is to hire a car, and self drive.There are no shuttles, taxis, or other forms of public transport to, from, or within, the Cradle/Lesedi

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cradle of Humankind Lion Park and Lesedi Village

Hi team,

Both the Lion Park and the Rhino & Lion Park both take part in animal petting and cuddling. Please do not support.

Now, in regards to the caves - AMAZING. History buff or not, you will be blown away by the fantastic exhibitions and the actual caves themselves - just imagine,literally walking in the steps of our ancestors. Gives me goosebumps!

The caves are currently closed due to heavy flooding in the area (14th Feb, for 4 weeks). Just check back to ensure all is working.

Warm regards

Jacqui Sive l Owner l Lodge Trackers l South Africa

Get answers to your questions about Greater Johannesburg