We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can we spend 7 hours in Johannesburg

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How can we spend 7 hours in Johannesburg

We have 7 hours of waiting at Johannesburg airport, as we would like to use more than just sit and wait.

Is there a resort, major hotel or club (for a fee), where we can relax by a pool, a swim and have a good lunch before a long flight back to Europe. The place should not be too far away from the airport and had to be reached safely by taxi.

Sincerely,

Annette

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How can we spend 7 hours in Johannesburg

There are a number of hotels and restaurants nearby, at the Emperors Palace complex.

As to using the hotel pool, I cannot say, as most hotels restrict pool use to the resident guests, AFAIK

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can we spend 7 hours in Johannesburg

Thanks Gavin S for your reply.

I was wondering, for example, "The Country Club Johannesburg", 1 Napier Rd, or "Killarney Country Club", 60 Fifth Street, Lower Houghton, Johannesburg. We do not play golf, but do you know something, if we could buy a visitor pass for a one day visit and use their swimming pool and their restaurant? It will take approx. 30 minutes by taxi from the airport. Is it safe to take a taxi, and which companies are good and safe and which are unsafe?

Sincerely

Annette

Paris, France
Level Contributor
871 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How can we spend 7 hours in Johannesburg

Years ago I used the small outside pool at the Sandton Sun Hotel on a daily basis but had to pay the daily rate for their Spa, but don't know if this is still possible because as Gavin mentions it is usually restricted to guests only. You could ask them and the gautrain from the airport would get you there.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
871 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How can we spend 7 hours in Johannesburg

Just seen your last post, yes it is safe to use a taxi but your problem might be traffic jams , which can be horrendous, which is why I suggested connecting up with the gautrain. Also used to belong to a country club and then it certainly was not possible for a day visit to swim and use their garden, but others might know different?

Edited: 27 September 2013, 15:23
5. Re: How can we spend 7 hours in Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 09:49