We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 free days in Jonnesburg in late Sep

Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Topic
2 free days in Jonnesburg in late Sep

Thinking of doing a Pilanesburg safari visit - either full day or 2 day/1 night. I had a look at the itinerary at the 2 day/1 night package but seems most of the time on the second day is free time (with a game drive at sunrise) and the trip won't finish in the late pm - that means I won't have much time to explore the city. Or should I do a 1 day safari and reserve the next day for a city tour?

Struggling to decide now since I guess it will be a great experience to spend one night in the lodge, but then I won't have enough time for other spots in the city. Any advice?

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 free days in Jonnesburg in late Sep

I get the impression from your post that you are under the impression Pilanesberg is in the Johannesburg area. It is in fact a 2, 2.5 hour drive to the north-west. Whether you should stay there for the full 2 days or come back to Jhb really depends on where your interests lie - I don't believe anyone can say anything meaningful without knowing that.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 free days in Jonnesburg in late Sep

Hello, i think you may Sun City? which is adjacent to the Lodge (assuming the lodge where you will overnight is in that area) As previous post, from Joburg it is a 2 hour trip to get to the lodge, normally arriving midday, then first game drive is late afternoon for around 3hours. Then next day, early morning, another game drive return and check out. It would be possible to get a transfer from the lodge to Sun City, but then your transport would collect you late afternoon, or you could take a shuttle back to Joburg.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 free days in Jonnesburg in late Sep

You can do one full day in Pilanesberg. Like mentioned above it is 2 hour drive from Johannesburg. Then you still have a day to explore some attractions in Johannesburg. There is the city sightseeing bus that take you to all the main attractions in the city.

All the best

Agnes

Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 free days in Jonnesburg in late Sep

Thanks all for the advice! I think I will just make a day trip to Pilanesberg and spend the second day in the city centre!

5. Re: 2 free days in Jonnesburg in late Sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 10:52