We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day tour of Johannesburg & Sweto township

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
day tour of Johannesburg & Sweto township

We are visiting Johannesburg for one day in May2013.Need to see importants sites in city & sweto township.Private tour is fine.

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
San Jose. Ca.
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day tour of Johannesburg & Sweto township

I have just returned and all I can say is the canned tours do not really show you the true state of affairs.

I took one and it was just a gloss job JMHO. I returned on my way home several weeks later and having an afternoon free I hired and driver who at first did not want to take me there and show me it,However after talking with him I got a much more in depth look at what has happened and what is currently happening. While it appears great strides have been made many people are still living in the same conditions and the state of the goverment is not helping, again JMHO.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,394 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day tour of Johannesburg & Sweto township

We do definitely need a change in government, or change of government attitude, as we certainly do have our problems, but which country does not?

When I conduct a tour, I certainly do not do a "gloss job", I show my clients my country,

" warts and all"..

However, I hope your driver was a licensed tourist driver/guide.

Any time you take a tour in South Africa, you should ask your "guide" for their official badge, and guide's identity card, which contains a photo, and the provinces and special sites where that person is licensed to guide

Taxi drivers, and others, who are not licensed guides, are not allowed to conduct tours, only "point to point driving".

In addition, licensed guides' vehicles carry the required insurance, and permits from the department of transport, for the transportation of tourists.

Licensed guides also have to be in possession of a valid First Aid Certificate, in case of mishaps.

To my Knowledge, taxis and other vehicles carry different insurance and permits, which are not valid for the conveyance of tourists, on guided tours.

In addition, it is doubtful if taxi drivers have first Aid certificates..

Also, the driver needs to be in possession of a valid PrDP (Professional Drivers Permit).

The authorities take a dim view of unlicensed "guides", and the Gauteng Tourism Authority is currently busy with a "crackdown" on these people.

Licensed guides also, having been to the trouble and expense of getting themselves "legal", take a dim view of the "illegal" guides.

Just saying.

Mentioned in this post
Gauteng
Gauteng
South Africa
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day tour of Johannesburg & Sweto township

Go to www.firelighttours.co.za They have a great tour, we used them for our guests and they are are always 200% happy with them. Ask for Petra.

Have fun.

4. Re: day tour of Johannesburg & Sweto township

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Greater Johannesburg