We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Topic
Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

We are considering renting from this company. We have only found one review posted in 2009 about this company. This is a very positive reviews. Does any one have personal experience renting with this company?

Thanks

Sarracenia

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

Hello, yes this company is fantastic!!

We have just returned from an amazing 7 week trip around SA, Zim, Bot and Namib in a 4x4 with 2 rooftop tents from Bushtrackers.

We saw lots of other hired vehicles similar to ours, but we feel the Bushtrackers vehicles were the best. They are very well maintained, they have been improved to suit the type of driving and terrain in Africa, the tents are spacious and comfortable and so easy to use, and the equipment provided is everything you could need!! Also most importantly, they don't have hire company branding all over them so you don't stick out like a tourist!

The service was fantastic from Heather and her husband, and they were at the end of the phone if we needed advice along the way. Before our trip started, I sent Heather our itinerary and she took the time to read over it and advise us of a few changes we should make - not many rentals companies would do that!!

I cannot fault the service or the vehicles. You will feel safe in this vehicle and have the best time!

Enjoy :-)

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

Hi Chantelleleg

Thank you for posting a response to our question. We have narrowed our list down to about 4 companies but it is always good to have the opinion of recent travelers. We had already read good reviews about this company but it was only one review.

May I ask where did you go in Botswana? Our 7 week trip we are planning includes Botswana and one of the places we are planning to camp is at 3rd bridge in Moremi National Park. Not sure if you by chance camped there.

Thanks again.

Sarracenia

Jersey, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

I agree with Chantelle, Sarracenia, they were a fantastic company to hire from. The service was excellent, they went above and beyond what you would expect, and the vehicles are fantastic. I have nothing but praise for Bushtrackers!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

Well I can thoroughly recommend Bushtrackers. I doubt you'll find a more personal & helpful service.

In Botswana we went to Chobe National Park and stayed at Suvuti Camp. We had an elephant grazing 10meters away from us while we were cooking our dinner, and heard lions roaring in the night! Amazing!

We then drove to Maun and stayed at a fantastic camp called 'Back to the bridge backpackers' - stunning place on the Okavango Delta where you can do the Mocoro Canoe trips from.

We then headed up the side of the Okavango to Guma and stayed at another lovely camp called 'Guma Lagoon Camp' which is on the pan handle of the delta. You can also do Mocoro trips from here which was beautiful but no wildlife here.

We then crossed in to Namibia at the Mohembo Border.

Namibia was by far our favourite country- Etosha National Park is a must! We saw 7 lions here and tons of other wildlife!

Let me know if you need anymore tips!

Have fun, it's an amazing continent!

Chantelle :-)

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

Well I can thoroughly recommend Bushtrackers. I doubt you'll find a more personal & helpful service.

In Botswana we went to Chobe National Park and stayed at Suvuti Camp. We had an elephant grazing 10meters away from us while we were cooking our dinner, and heard lions roaring in the night! Amazing!

We then drove to Maun and stayed at a fantastic camp called 'Back to the bridge backpackers' - stunning place on the Okavango Delta where you can do the Mocoro Canoe trips from.

We then headed up the side of the Okavango to Guma and stayed at another lovely camp called 'Guma Lagoon Camp' which is on the pan handle of the delta. You can also do Mocoro trips from here which was beautiful but no wildlife here.

We then crossed in to Namibia at the Mohembo Border.

Namibia was by far our favourite country- Etosha National Park is a must! We saw 7 lions here and tons of other wildlife! Make sure you stay at Ngepi Camp on the Caprivi strip- such an interesting place!

Let me know if you need anymore tips!

Have fun, it's an amazing continent!

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

Thanks for you input Jersey

Sarracenia

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

Thanks again for all the useful information. We are also planning to go to Namibia and we are also planning to cross into Botswana at the Mohembo border crossing. Did you see if there are places to get pulas at the border? We are coming from Namibia and I was not sure about where we could get Botswana Pulas.

You are right and there are many nice places to stay in southern Africa. We spent about 5 weeks getting our itinerary together and emailing many places to get information about prices and availability etc. and I think we are getting close to start the booking process. Our trip would start in Mid October. We are bringing a telescope for stargazing and this complicates the planning a bit since we want to be in dark locations at the right time of the month.

Did you like the mokoro trip you did in Maun? We did a trip in a Mokoro in Ghana and it was very nice but not many animals. I have read that hyppos can be a problem sometimes in Botswana.

We have been to South Africa 3 times and Namibia once, but we have never camped there before so this will be a different type of trip although we plan to stay at some guest house here and there for a break. We also loved Etosha and the waterhole at night. We are planning to go back there. Where else did you go in Namibia? We are looking into camping in the Damaraland area.

Did you visit the Richterveld national park in South Africa? we are planning to go there and cross into Namibia at that point. Finally did you visit the Limpopo area National parks or other? and did you go to Kruger NP?

Sorry to ask you so many questions but it is always nice to share information with travelers that have recently returned. Did you have any safety issues in South Africa? We never have, but we are aware that you have be extra careful in the big cities.

Sarracenia

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

Hi Sarracenia

When we crossed in to Botswana (from Zimbabwe) we just drove to the first town and drew some money out of an ATM, and also found a currency exchange to change our left over US$. Avoid getting currency at borders - it could be dodgy money!!

It sounds like you have an amazing trip planned!! And camping (with rooftop tents) is definitely the way to do it in these countries!

We enjoyed the Mokoro canoe but were glad we only did a half day trip because it was hot!!! I would have preferred to do it where there was wildlife to see! I think you see wildlife if you do it from Maun and cross the crocodile bridge.

In Namibia we went from the Caprivi strip to Tsumeb and stayed at 'Uris Safari Lodge' which was an amazing camp! Then to Etosha. Then to Henties Bay and down the Skeleton Coast. Then to Sossusvlei (Dune 45 and Deadvlei) and a very interesting drive through the Namib desert to the Fish River Canyon and camped at 'Canon Roadhouse' - lovely place and great springbok fillet for dinner! And finally down to the Orange River for some kayaking and we stayed at Felix Unite which is stunning - a must!

We didn't go to Richterveld NP in SA. In SA we went to Kruger, Addo Elephant, Hluhluwe-Imfolozi, and Ithala. Let me know if you have any questions about any of them? The camp called 'Doornkraal' in Ithala was fantastic! No-one around, right deep in the bush, no fences, outdoor style toilets and showers! Great for star gazing!

We did not have any safety issues no. We always had our wits about us of course. I did not feel threatened at any time. Just avoid the renowned dodgy areas in SA cities! People are lovely, especially in Namibia!

Always happy to help as I agree its great to get info from fellow travelers!

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

Hi Chantelle

Thanks again for sharing all this information. We have not been to that part of South Africa, but perhaps on some other trip we will. Your Namibia trip sounds nice and I agree that Namibia has some amazing areas and it is rarely crowded.

We are still revising our itinerary but we hope to have our final itinerary soon.

Thanks again and If I have more questions I will check with you

Sarracenia

10. Re: Bushtrackers 4X 4 rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 09:47