We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

Hi, Has anybody hired a car from Rent a wreck car hire in Johannesburg?

Their prices are cheap so i am not expecting a Rolls Royce.

Are the cars safe and roadworthy?

What kind of cars do they hire?

1. Re: Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 19:41
Edited: 17 September 2018, 19:41
Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

Thanks Gavin. Having Googled them, I am seeing pictures of 1985 Mazda 323's which does not bother me, I just want it to be safe / reliable.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
295 reviews
3. Re: Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

just an opinion. I would prefer to drive much newer vehicles since I am in a foreign land. Can't affor to have a breakdown in the middle of nowhere (since I am planning to go to kruger). That said, I am driving a 1998 minivan here at home.

NYC
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

Yes sir " Can't affor to have a breakdown in the middle of nowhere (since I am planning to go to kruger".

The potholes, animals on the road, changing road conditions, etc.. you therefore need a very reliable vehicle (and rent a car agency) in case something happens while traveling in rented car in So Africa. There are excellent prices from the main car agencies and if the rent a car gets disabled (mine did once, lost a muffler on the toll road) you need that reliable car rental agency to get you back on the road and going on your way.

Hannover, Germany
1 post
5. Re: Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

Did anyone try it?

6. Re: Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 21:53
Johannesburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
7. Re: Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

I am an expat living in Joburg and have rented from Rent a Wreck for 9 months now as I didn't want to buy a car for my year stay. The price was incredibly reasonable, and the service is fantastic. If the car ever does have issues I just email Byron, and he sends someone out to help me immediately. They are incredibly nice and helpful. I was in a car accident while I was here and they took care of everything and made sure I had a different car to drive immediately. My deductible for the accident was incredibly reasonable. If you need an affordable way to get around Joburg I can't recommend them enough. If you have questions just email them, and I recommend talking to Byron.

That said we did take the car to Durban (1981 automatic Mazda) and I wouldn't recommend that. The car doesn't go very fast and has no air conditioning. I definitely wouldn't take it to Kruger as it's very loud and would probably scare away the animals. It's definitely a solution for getting around Joburg, but I don't really press it further than that. I do think their manuals are newer and in better shape than their automatics so you might have more abilities with one of those, but unfortunately I can't drive manual.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
98 reviews
8. Re: Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

We used these, they were super helpful and even lent us a road map on trust. The car was old but reliable and was great as you didn't have to worry where you left it. We did get stopped by the Police twice on the road back from Soweto though, but it was part of the adventure. Nive people and you are putting money into the local economy. Go for it!

Greater...
1 post
9. Re: Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

I used one of their vehicles from the 23rd to the 28th of December 2014 and the car was driving like a new vehicle and never had a problem, their service was the Best. Proud Luthuli

Greater...
1 post
10. Re: Rent a Wreck car hire Johannesburg

To who it may concern

I would to like to rent a car from 30/01/2015 to 02/02/2015. please give me a quote plus the procedure to rent a sedan

Kind regards,

Gabriel