We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

Sydney
Level Contributor
45 posts
62 reviews
Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

We are joining a safari in the Kruger National Park and have 2 choices of either being picked up at O R Tambo Airport (we will be staying at Sandton) and driving for 7 or so hours in a minbus or flying to Nelspruit airport and driving for one hour or so.

Ordinarily, it would be a 'no brainer', but as we have never been to S.A. before, we had a romantic notion that a road trip would wind its way through small towns and provide interesting viewing along the way. However, speaking to a colleague who has just arrived home, it would appear that the road is a highway with very little of interest to see along the way for such a long trip by road. Please don't be offended by this comment, but we are just not great fans of long road trips unless it is well worth it.

We would appreciate any comments regarding whether we should drive or fly to our safari.

Thank you in advance.

Sydney
Level Contributor
45 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

Given the total lack of replies to this question, it must be a stupid question. Even so, can somebody please tell us if the 7+ hour trip by car is worth the effort?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

patience is a virtue! Not?

The drive to one of the Kruger gates, depending on where you will be staying, will take you 4 to max 6 hours. The drive is pretty boring, and mostly highway,that is correct, again, depending on where you are heading. The Kruger Park is rather big and there are different routes you would take from JHB. Give us some more detailed other than general information on where you are staying/heading and I am sure you will get feed back.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,643 posts
6,532 reviews
3. Re: Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

Hang on, GaryandMelody!!! Some of us do sleep and work. Love to help but give a bit more than six hours, my friend. ;-)

I can highly recommend the Blyde River Canyon (3rd largest in the world) and some of the panorama route drive, easy to catch when transferring between j'burg to Kruger, if you have a day to kill before your safari, is superb. Check out these spots before deciding whether or not to go with the drive to Kruger or not.

Blyde River Canyon

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Panorama Route

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Have a great trip to South Africa and enjoy your safari experience.

Sydney
Level Contributor
45 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

Klaus and BradJill, thank you for your helpful replies and as my wife always tells me - patience is one virtue I don't possess. We would be picked up in a mini van at OR Tambo airport and taken to the Sukuza Camp at the Southern end of Kruger Park, returning to the airport the same way.

BradJill, unfortunately, we will not have time for any stops or sightseeing on the way as we have a very strict timetable.

Once again, thank you both so much for your replies.

Cheers,

Gary

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

In that case I would take a connecting flight to Nelspruit (MQP), Kruger Mpumalanga International airport.

Only the last 100 km, when taking the Long Tom Pass, are a scenic drive.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Sydney
Level Contributor
45 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

Thank you Klaus, I have followed your good advice and booked our flights. Thank you once again,

Gary

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
46 reviews
7. Re: Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

The drive from Nelspruit to our lodge at Sabi Sands / Kruger took two and half hours with a driver from the lodge who picked us up. Many people who drove themselves got lost since the road signs are poor or non-existant.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

Gary, dont worry,

there is actually no reason getting lost (and the road signs actually are there and good). From the airport you go to White River (which is out the airport right, next stop left and immediately right again).

From White River you follow the R40 all the way straight to Hazyview (40 km), left into Hazyview.

Second traffic light right right towards Kruger gate.

Depending on the time you have left you either enter already at Phabeni gate to Skukuza, app 10 km from Hazyview or go straight all the way straight (40 km) to Kruger Gate, enter there and go to Skukuza.

To Hazyview it will take you max 1 hour and from there 10 minutes to the Phabeni Gate, and a further 30 minutes to the Kruger gate.

From White River to Hazyview, just follow the R40 and NOT the R538 as there are a number potholes. The road is not very nice!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

PS

You can of course ignore the advise and directions you will most probably receive from your accommodation or on TA and trust your tom tom or any othert navi. Just dont blame anyone other than the navi afterwards.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

10. Re: Road trip from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:12
Get answers to your questions about Greater Johannesburg