We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Rosebank or Sandton?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,150 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Rosebank or Sandton?

4 of us.. 2 arriving on a morning flight from US on a Monday 2 others arriving at 4pm on flight from Dubai...will have that night and all next day and night to do some exploring in Jo'burg before flying out on Wednesday to Botswana. Am thinking that either of above 2 areas will be better place to stay than airport hotel. Is this right? or should I just stay at airport and use gautrain.

Interested in local art/history/culture...not interested in game park as will be spending 12 days on safari in Bots.

For the 2 early arrivals first visit to Africa..for myself and DH 4th visit.

Looking for place to stay that will give relatively easy access to heading out for a walk for local restaurants.

Have thought about hiring guide for 1/2 day..any thoughts on this?

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Rosebank or Sandton?

Sandton and Rosebank are both good suburbs to stay. The advantage of these suburbs are that they are walking distance of shopping malls and also restaurants. Also walking distance of the Gautrain. I prefer Rosebank because I just loved the atmosphere but that is my personal opinion.

The most popular tours are Soweto and the Apartheid museum, Constitutional Hill, Origin Centre.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Agnes

Felleng Tours

Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Gautrain
Gautrain
5,062 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Soweto
Soweto
Felleng Day Tours
Felleng Day Tours
727 Reviews
Jalandhar, India
Level Contributor
8 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Rosebank or Sandton?

Rosebank or Sandton?

Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Rosebank or Sandton?

Sandton: Big shopping mall with a lot of restaurants. The Gautrain stops walking distance from the Radison Blu hotel, Michaelangelo hotel and also Sandton City Garden Court and Holiday Inn. On the Nelson Mandela Square there you find a lot of good restaurants. Most of the hotels do have free shuttle service from the station.

All the best

Agnes Felleng tours

Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Sandton City
Sandton City
87 Reviews
Sandton, South Africa
Nelson Mandela Square
Nelson Mandela Square
2,360 Reviews
Sandton, South Africa
Felleng Day Tours
Felleng Day Tours
727 Reviews
4. Re: Stay in Rosebank or Sandton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 09:45