We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help sort car rental madness

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Please help sort car rental madness

Could someone in South Africa please help me by recommending an affordable and reliable company to deal with.

Arriving in March with a family of five. Searching for a car/minivan that will accommodate all of us and some bags for 1 week in Joburg and then another for 5 days in Cape Town.

internet searches from the US are making me a bit insane. So many levels of coverage, exclusions that vary from company to company, rates that don't include excess at time of booking.

I don't want to drive around in a ridiculous SUV or luxury car, I just need to get around town and not pay $1000 US to do it.

Thanks to anyone who can offer help!

1. Re: Please help sort car rental madness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 19:41
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help sort car rental madness

Hi,

We have used Avis in S.A on 3 occassions now with a 4th booked for this coming April.

On each occassion we have booked direct with Avis on-line using the "International Visitors" booking page which includes free waivers and unlimited klm's, the excess for theft and damage is only minimal. We have had no issues what-so-ever with Avis.

Hope this helps.......thesandmans

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help sort car rental madness

Sorry,

I forgot to include the Avis S.A. web site address in my last post.

www.avis.co.za

Regards, thesandmans

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
832 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help sort car rental madness

we booked via Carhire3000 which we found via this forum.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help sort car rental madness

Have also used carhire3000 - very good prices and terms. Also, have used aroundaboutcars twice, both times cars supplied by Europcar and good price and service.

Curitiba, Parana...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help sort car rental madness

Please, don't hire it from Avis. My boyfriend and I hired one car in Cape Town the last week. It was supposed to be a two day rental, and we delivered the car in the same conditions we got it. With full tank, and a scratch on one side (that was already there when we hired it).

But when we delivered the car at the airport they complained that we didn't have the GPS bag (witch wasn't gave to us at the moment we hired it) and that the scratch wasn't there when we got the car.

Now they keep on charging us on our credit car and we don't know how to stop this madness.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,436 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help sort car rental madness

Honestly - $1000 for a week around Johannesburg + 5 days around Cape Town IS what it will cost you for a van that would work for you. That's about $80 per day. And a reasonable rate.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help sort car rental madness

The comment by Fernanda above brings up another important point.

We always check over the car when we pick it up, the company will have any damage recorded on your paperwork but double check anyway. We have sometimes found a couple of scratches or marks they missed and they simply add them to the report.

On return Always get a condition report showing there is no damage to the car, it just takes a minute and the big companies do it all the time.

We take the extra time to do this and have never had any issues . Last time the car was splattered with dirt from Kruger when we returned it but still did not have a problem getting the report.

This is fairly basic advice but often forgotten.

Edited: 29 March 2012, 18:21
9. Re: Please help sort car rental madness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:11