We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

Hi,

We will be in Johannesburg for 1 night next March for a layover before catching our flight back home. We will be arriving in Johannesburg at night (9 PM) and our flight is not until the next night at 7:30 PM.

Would you recommend staying around the airport area or in Melrose Arch? We are looking at either the Protea OR Tambo or Protea Melrose Arch.

We were wondering if we stay in Melrose Arch, is it walking distance to some shops/attractions so we can walk around in the morning-noon before we do our 1/2 day Soweto/city tour?

If there's nothing within walking distance around the Melrose Arch area, then we'll probably stay near the airport.

Thanks in advance!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

If you are limiting your choice to those two hotels then I would definitely recommend the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. It is in the Melrose Arch precinct, which consists of shopping, many restaurants, other hotels and residential apartments. Protea OR Tambo would not have "walking around" options other than the airport itself.

Alternatively I would recommend either Rosebank or Sandton where there are hotels in close proximity to their respective Gautrain express train stations (to and from OR Tambo) with lots of "walking around" options. Rosebank also has a craft market that many tourists seem to enjoy for last minute souvenirs..

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

Thanks for your input!

Do you have recommendations on hotels in Rosebank/Sandton?

How much approximately is taxi cost from OR Tambo to those area?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

There are a huge number of hotels in each area - I have list of some Rosebank hotels here tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22644-Johannes… and you will have to look under Sandton for the hotels there (the Rosebank hotels are not as well organised in TA). I can't really recommend a hotel as this is my home city so I have not used any of them except for meals occasionally.

I think a Taxi will be about R350 one way from the airport and a pre-arranged shuttle a little more. Depending on the hotel they may arrange it for you. A Gautrain ticket is R105 to Sandton and R115 to Rosebank. The Gautrain is a new express high speed train of a standard equal to the Heathrow Express in London. There are quite a number of hotels right at the Rosebank and Sandton stations.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

Unfortunately you will arrive after the last Gautrain has left the airport. Then Holiday Inn Rosebank, Courtyard Hotel Rosebank or Hyatt would have been ideal as they are adjacent to station.

In terms of options for the morning, Rosebank will offer more options with 2 malls and few great coffee shops. And the craft market as mentioned already.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

Good point SepSep about the Gautrain being closed by 9pm - so it will have to be a taxi in and either taxi or Gautrain out. My recommendation would also be Rosebank.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

Thanks for the input all!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

One more question: if we stay in Rosebank, will there be cafes/restaurants open in the morning for breakfast? or should we try to get the breakfast package included with the hotel?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

Rosebank is a popular venue for breakfast with many cafes and coffee shops open early for breakfast - no need to take the breakfast package.

9. Re: Stay in OR Tambo or Melrose Arch area for a 1 night layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 05:52