We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

Haverford...
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

Hi all,

I'm considering renting a car from JNB airport and doing a driving trip to visit Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland.

I'll be arriving at JNB in the morning and driving directly to Kruger.

Is it reasonable to fathom that I could do this trip in 7-8 days?

(4 days in Kruger, maybe 2 each in Mozambique and Swaziland, for example?)

Thanks!

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

Hi, have always found Swaziland to be a scenic place to drive thru, not necessarily stay over. So I would plan less time there. Perhaps also one less day in Kruger and maybe a day to spend in Johannesburg instead?

But you have more than enough time for your itinerary.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

Just make sure you are allowed to take the car to Mocambique. It normally prooves expensive!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,344 posts
3. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

Klaus is right. While South African Car Rental companies are happy to let you drive into Swaziland - as long as you make prior arrangements and pay the fees. I don't think any of the main SA companies will let you drive into Mozambique. For example here are the terms for Avis (the biggest company in SA) :

Please Note: No vehicles are permitted to enter Zimbabwe or Mozambique.

Renters wishing to enter Botswana, Swaziland, Lesotho or Namibia must be in possesion of a letter of authority obtainable from an Avis location at time of rental, an additional R1000.00 (incl tax) will be charged to cross border rentals into Namibia and Botswana.

The reason that they don't allow travel into Mozabique is safety. Maybe you should keep your eye on this very recent thread : tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k416…

Edited: 02 February 2011, 03:43
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
4. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

Some 4x4 rental companies allow you to take their vehicles into Moz britz.co.za/6.Rental-Terms_and_Conditions.htm but obviously a 4x4 is going to be more expensive.

Any reason for wanting to go to Maputo? It is not the best part of Mozambique in my opinion.

I personally would not do 3 or 4 African border crossings in 8 days. Even tame ones like Swaziland can take time, especially if you are going through with a vehicle.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 10:22
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

7-8 days is perfect for a trip out that way.

I love staying over in Swaziland. It's a fascinating little country, and one of my favourite places to stay is Mlilwane (reservations@biggameparks.org,

www.biggameparks.org). Lovely little place where we normally stay in beehive huts, but there are lots of brilliant places to stay in the Ezulwini Valley ("the Valley of Heaven").

LOL! The reason why rentals aren't allowed into Moz is because many clients ended up finding alternative transport back.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 10:39
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

I was in Maputo last November for a long party weekend. We were 5 ladies driving from Johannesburg to Maputo.

Yes with a foreign license plate we were stopped at every roadblock. Yes the traffic officers carried guns, yes you night be accused of making a u-turn in an empty street, but all that was required was a small 'spot fine' in meticals (sp?).

At no time did we feel unsafe (of course we were cautious). We drove at night and well into morning with no incidents. Know many other people who regularly go to Maputo and return with no incidents.

Maputo is not for scenic beauty and diving and nature, but its a great vibrant cityn with lots of historical sites and great nightlife!

We are going back in March.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

LOL Sep Sep,

It amazes me the bribery and corruption (read "small spot fines") has become so engrained in South African culture that it escapes you that it may be entirely foreign (and unacceptable) to international visitors.

It might be considered strange for international visitors to be surrounded by AK-47 wielding thugs in normal countries, but it's considered quite acceptable for African "policemen" to point guns at you?

It also interests me that there may be some cultural differences, and that most of the folk on this forum who promote Mozambique so glibly are "locals" who dash in there for a quick visit or a scuba holiday, and the bribes and "service fees" are built into their budget.

I've crossed those borders more than a hundred times (I used to live and work and work in Moz). And I've crossed it for the last time.

And as for Maputo having such a rich history ... I remember the days when Lourenzo Marques was one of the most beautiful cities in Southern Africa and had magnificent beaches. Today it's full "historical sites", that not so long ago, weren't history at all, they were part of a dynamic and vibrant society. Today, Maputo is a trash heap.

But there again, I have a longer memory than some ...

Edited: 02 February 2011, 12:05
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
8. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

Have I just been exceedingly lucky? I have never been stopped in any Southern African country and asked for a bribe. Never ever. The only road blocks I have ever been stopped at have been legitimate ones, either checking for licenses or illegal animal/meat product movements.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

Yes Lamlee,

You've been extremely lucky. And luckier still that the people who helped you in Moz when you needed help where "about the only people in the area that spoke English"! Lol! There are many who aren't that lucky.

And I can assure you that the authorities in Mozambique have no time for foreigners (including you and me) unless there's good financial pickings to be had.

The only African country I've never been stopped and asked for a bribe is Namibia - I'd go there any day.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 12:44
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger, Maputo and Swaziland

Hi Bushkid.

I would respond but I think I'll be taking this forum way off topic and probably bore many of the people here.

I just wanted to give a different perspective and hopefully give those reading an opportunity to have an open mind and see the other side of Africa besides what's in the bush.