We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline Enquiry

Scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Airline Enquiry

I am travelling from Glasgow to Johannesburg in Sept 2010. I am having difficulty in deciding whether to travel with Emirates or KLM via Amsterdam.

Find reviews on other sites quite conflicting and realise that there are pros and cons for both airlines.

Has anyone travelled to Johannesburg using these airlines, would be grateful for your comments.

Many thanks

XXB
Buckingham
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline Enquiry

They're both good quality airlines. If it were me, I'd choose the one with the most suitable schedule in terms of departure time, layover time, and overall flying hours.

XXB

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline Enquiry

Hi,

I agree with the previous poster. Have personally travelled with KLM several times and they are excellent. Emirates have a very good reputation.

Schiphol is a large and busy airport so be sure to give yourself sufficient time to transit there.

Lahore
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline Enquiry

best solution for this is that visit some airline site. you can check there about the flights their fares and hotel reservation like the one of these given below

http://cheapfligths2africa.com

Essex
Level Contributor
40 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline Enquiry

I have flown both and found them good. However I was looking at Emirates for a trip this year and I noted that the connection times were long and during the night, ie 4 to 5 hours between 1 am and dawn. Not my favorite time to sit in a terminal. Not sure if that was just the particular combination offered at a cheap price, or if that is now the usual connection, but worth checking before you book. Actualy I ended up booking direct on SAA which was favourably priced compard to KLM indirect, and the other direct carriers.

Andy

South Africa
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline Enquiry

Hi there!

KLM is a much better option for you I belive, their service is superb and has convenient arrival/departure times!

Kind regards

Unique Event Planner

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,376 posts
2,298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline Enquiry

I have been to South Africa with KLM and flown with Emirates on many occassions.

Both excellent airlines and the final factor may end up being price. You should have no problem moving around Schipol airport.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline Enquiry

For me it would come down to the transfers, not just their length but also their timings. Like 75AT, I find the long interuption to my sleep in the early hours of the morning a real nuisance. That said, I do sleep really well en route to SA (even to the point that I have been known to miss dinner and breakfast!).

Did not find the change in Schipol particularly difficult (even with child and slow Granny in tow).

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
45,592 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline Enquiry

I've flown Emirates to Jo'burg and found the timings good and the stopover being divided into more or less equal times worked well for me.

Use Emirates quite a lot for long haul. Their ICE IFE system is the best on any airline I've flown.

Bronia

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline Enquiry

Flown Emirates to Joberg. Great service. Won't go wrong with Emirates.

Lahore
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline Enquiry

I know that the prices of different companies has much difference between them . but if you check on the internet you can get the offered able price like the website given below

http://cheapflights2africa.com