We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta ATL-JNB flight question

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
759 posts
23 reviews
Delta ATL-JNB flight question

To whomever has flown the nonstop ATL-JNB Delta flight (on the 777LR) in economy---I am wondering how many meals you are given? Trying to figure out if I should bring additional food. I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

thanks!

TX
Level Contributor
159 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: Delta ATL-JNB flight question

I saw something, maybe on a frequent flyer board, referencing JNB-ATL dating from start of service that not enough meals were served. I'm guessing I was doing a google search on that flight to cough up that little factoid so maybe try that and see what happens

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Delta ATL-JNB flight question

Dinner soon after take off and another meal prior to landing.

There are snacks available in the galley for most of the flight.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Delta ATL-JNB flight question

I guess that depends on how long this flight is. I've never been on this route, but I suppose I would take something for in between dinner and breakfast.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
803 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Delta ATL-JNB flight question

We are on the same flight (17 hour going there, 15 hours coming back) in December. We will definitely bring extra food, as it sounds like we will have up to 12 hours with no food service. Although... I just hope and pray that I will be able to sleep, then food will not be as necessary, and I won't feel terrible when we arrive.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
759 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Delta ATL-JNB flight question

yeah, it sounds like we should bring some small sandwich or similar for breakfast, as it sounds like we'll get dinner and then more like lunch right before we land (so no real breakfast.)

@nedleycan, let's not make it worse than it actually is :) According to the Delta site its "only" 15hr 10min going and 16hr 15 min coming back. Bad enough!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
803 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Delta ATL-JNB flight question

Oh worry, I thought it was the other way around, and I thought it was closer to 17 hours... okay, that makes me feel so much better! haha :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
803 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Delta ATL-JNB flight question

Just checked our etickets and it says 16H 40M for the return... I guess I just called it 17! Hopefully your info is correct and it is more like 16 hours.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
759 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Delta ATL-JNB flight question

well, remember those times always include about 30-45 minutes of runway time...flight time is somewhat less. I know you are still stuck on the plane but mentally for some reason it makes me feel better (when the captain says, "our flying time will be 14 hours and 45 minutes" and the ticket says 15:15 LOL).

Tlayacapan, Mexico
Level Contributor
24,477 posts
422 reviews
9. Re: Delta ATL-JNB flight question

I'll take the same flight on December 23. I also hope sleep because is a long trip

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
759 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Delta ATL-JNB flight question

an update, as we took this flight last week. It was much better than I'd anticipated! There are two meals, and in-between there is a constant supply of snacks in the galleys--mini-sandwiches, cookies, chips, candy bars, and in the morning return flight also yogurt and muffins. This food was actually better than the "meals" (the usual economy slop :) and so I filled up on the mini-sandwiches.

The return flight is indeed 16 hrs 45 minutes. But I did manage to sleep about four hours and watched three movies. The in-seat video has at least 50 movies to choose from, plus tv shows, music, and games. I brought a laptop with some videos on it but never needed to use it as the seatback video choice was excellent. The seats are fairly roomy and comfortable (for economy) but I brought a neck pillow and also an inflatable lumbar pillow which made it more comfortable.

It really wasn't as bad as I expected (except for the jet-lag, which I am still recovering from!)

Get answers to your questions about Greater Johannesburg