We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Johannesburg to Zanzibar

Bundaberg
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flights from Johannesburg to Zanzibar

Hello,

We are arriving in Johannesburg from Australia in June. We are heading to Arusha in Tanzania and would like to go via Zanzibar either on the way there or the way home. After much searching on the web I still don't have much info on what airlines are best to travel with. 1Time have flights to Zanzibar but only on a Tuesday or Saturday. Could anyone advise what other airlines fly from Johannesburg to Zanzibar and about how much?

Also wanted to ask if we book from Australia, can we pay in SA Rand or do we need to pay in US$ (which have a terrible exchange rate for us at present!).

Any help is very appreciated.

Cheers!

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,416 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Johannesburg to Zanzibar

I think your best option would be SAA and Coastal, in Tanzania. I doubt anyone flies direct to ZNZ from South Africa, but I could be wrong. Dar es Salaam is the usual gateway.

I would think SAA would want to be paid in Rand and TZ airlines in US Dollars.

The connection at Dar is fairly good and the flight to ZNZ from Dar is only about 20 minutes.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
186 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Johannesburg to Zanzibar

Hi there,

Check out this website www.travelstart.co.za - It will give you all the flights from SA to Zanzibar - 1Time will be the cheapest though.

Bundaberg
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Johannesburg to Zanzibar

Thank you very much for your help!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Johannesburg to Zanzibar

1Time Airlines (cheapy) have started a route from Jhb to Zanzibar. www.1time.co.za

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Johannesburg to Zanzibar

Sorry - didn't ready right through your post and see that you already know that 1Time fly there ... sorry...

6. Re: Flights from Johannesburg to Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 21:49