We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 or 2 Day trip to Swaziland

Ireland
4 posts
1 or 2 Day trip to Swaziland

I will have a few free days in Johannesburg in early May 2009.

Do any tour companies run a day trip from Johannesburg to see some of Swaziland? Would this be possible in one day with return to Johannesburg that night?

Alternatively would it be possible to get a three day trip from Johannesburg to Swaziland and Maputo, Mozambique then returning to Johannesburg?

Any advice appreciated.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
237 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: 1 or 2 Day trip to Swaziland

Hello Donnie,

I would suggesting renting a car and driving to swaziland yourself, it is a very nice drive from Johannesburg and quite easy, well sign posted.

Although I have done the trip leaving early in the morning and returning same day, I would strongly discourage it, it is just too far. Although one night would give you plenty of options. Alternatively if you get an early morning flight and late returning flight, it would be possible to do in one day.

If you do drive, make sure you no more than an hour out of Johannesburg before sunrise, and within an hour of the city before sunset on the return. The roads are very dark at night.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: 1 or 2 Day trip to Swaziland

Hey Donie,

Glad to see you're interested in going to Swaziland. Interesting and very beautiful country, although very poor. I'd agree with jhbboy about trying to make it in one day. Not really a proposition (not even a proposition). It's a 6 hour odd journey in each direction. And driving at night is not a great idea!

I don't know any tour companies offering trips specifically to Swaziland. Renting a car is a great idea. You can then travel where you want. Crossing the border into Swaziland is easy and relaxed. No grief there. And it's a common monetary area with SA, so you can use SA Rands. No exchange problems.

There's also a complete range of good accommodation ranging from budget to 5-star.

I'd suggest a two-night stay to do the country justice. They have some fantastic nature reserves (Malalotja being a brilliant hiking reserve, and Milwane being a nice walking reserve with lots of relaxed animals around). There are several other reserves as well.

In addition, there are great craft markets, a candle factory and a glass factory where you can watch the craftsmen, old mines you can explore, and a host of cultural things to do.

If you're looking to get up into the Kruger area, it's nice and convenient (and maybe 1 night/1 night might not be a bad idea.

I wouldn't even consider going to Maputo. My own opinion. Unfriendly, obstructive, abusive border officials, corrupt police around almost every corner, high levels of petty crime, dirty, decaying cities, and the lowest levels of customer care from hotels I've ever experienced. Want to know anything else about the place? But some beautiful beaches (but they are fairly remote), and extremely friendly people! And make sure your vehicle and belongings are well-insured! I used to live there. Don't waste your time!

Enjoy your stay!

johannesburg
Level Contributor
111 posts
3. Re: 1 or 2 Day trip to Swaziland

Agree with the previous advice with regards Swaziland. We just returned from a trip to Mozambique in December. Maputo is not the place to go if you want to visit Mozambique. Most visitors go to the beaches, some on remote islands and others either north or south of Maputo, but most roads are not tarred and require 4x4 access. The only way to appreciate Mozambique, in my opinion, is to fly to one of the islands but is rather expensive. The beaches are stunning and well worth a visit but not in the time you have allocated.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
237 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: 1 or 2 Day trip to Swaziland

Living in Johannesburg and having travelled to Swaziland very often, I would say six hours drive is not realistic at all.

A comfortable drive at the speed limit, would get you to the border in 3 & 1/2hrs

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: 1 or 2 Day trip to Swaziland

Agreed jhbboy. A seasoned traveller can get to the border in 3.5 hours, without stops. First time travellers in a new country can take a bit more time. And I was really referring to getting out of Jhb and into Swaziland (like into the main areas) ...

Many folk travelling in new countries under-estimate their travelling times! Last year it took a group of mine 4 hours to cross the Mozambique border, and I've been held up at a border for 6 hours before.

Best to over-estimate, and allow for the unexpected!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
6. Re: 1 or 2 Day trip to Swaziland

Hello to all,

I did travel to Swaziland, and I have to tell to all South Africans, and Swazis thank you for the great time I had in your country.I do agree that the best way to get to Swaziland is driving. Most will give you good directions. The South Africa and Swaziland combo is a good one. Have a great trip DonnieObrien.

7. Re: 1 or 2 Day trip to Swaziland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 09:53