We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will be in jo'burg for a couple days alone, what to do?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
will be in jo'burg for a couple days alone, what to do?

I am a 24 y/o male who will be in jo'burg for a couple days alone while a couple of friends of mine are on a hunting trip. i dont know much about the city, but im hoping someone can give me a few things to do while im there. I am open to touristy types of things to do, but i would rather stay off the beaten path. and im hoping to enjoy some local night life if there is any on wensdays or thursday nights. i prefer to stay in a 4 or 5 star hotel close to where everything is going on. if anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

johannesburg
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: will be in jo'burg for a couple days alone, what to do?

Your best bet is to look for a hotel (and there are many) in the Sandton area, very upmarket. This is close to Sandton City a huge shopping mall, Nelson Mandela square with loads of good restuarants. Is safe, about 30 - 40 minutes drive from the aiport. Most hotels offer daily excursions, a good one is a tour to Soweto, Cradle of Mankind and the Sterkfontein caves, Gold Reef City an old gold mine theme park and the Apartheid Museum. There are also clubs etc in the area within a short taxi ride so no shortage of entertainment.

Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Sandton City
Sandton City
87 Reviews
Sandton, South Africa
Nelson Mandela Square
Nelson Mandela Square
2,356 Reviews
Sandton, South Africa
Soweto
Soweto
Gold Reef City
Gold Reef City
1,620 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Apartheid Museum
Apartheid Museum
5,313 Reviews
West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will be in jo'burg for a couple days alone, what to do?

I'm also going to be in Johannesburg for a couple of nights by myself. I found what looks like a terrific hotel called the Peech Boutique Hotel in Melrose. Check it out. It's not in Sandton but close by. Melville, where there seems to be a lot of restaurants and clubs is also fairly close by.

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
The Peech Hotel
The Peech Hotel
639 Reviews
Sandton
Sandton
Melville
Melville
283 Reviews
West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will be in jo'burg for a couple days alone, what to do?

Almost forgot... I also scheduled an all day tour of Jo-burg and Soweto through a company called KDR Sports and Adventure Travel. I read some favorable reviews of them on this forum and the reservation process was quick and efficient at their website. They confirmed my reservation within 24 hours and put me together with another small group.

Mentioned in this post
Soweto
Soweto
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
129 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will be in jo'burg for a couple days alone, what to do?

I am going in April with my boyfriend and we are staying at the 7th Street Guest House in Melville. There are lots of bars and restaurants in Melville on 7th street and you can walk around to all of the them. By boyfriend and I are into art and culture, so we are going to take a day trip to the Cradle of Humankind. Check it out! I think it is also recommended to take a tour of Soweto, so I am looking into that as well.

If anyone out there has a recommendation for a local tour operator that does these tours, please chime in!

Mentioned in this post
Melville
Melville
283 Reviews
The Cradle of Humankind
The Cradle of Humankind
371 Reviews
Soweto
Soweto
England
Level Contributor
5 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will be in jo'burg for a couple days alone, what to do?

You must do a tour of Soweto but be warned you'll need a hanky! Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Soweto
Soweto
6. Re: will be in jo'burg for a couple days alone, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 00:47