We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 free days, does this itinerary work?

United States
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 free days, does this itinerary work?

Hi, I’ll be arriving with two colleagues and we have about 48 hours free in Johannesburg at the end of the month. Our flight arrives mid afternoon from Gaborone and we are booked in at a hotel on Nelson Mandela Square. Here’s what I have in mind:

Train transfer from airport to hotel, check in, etc. afternoon/evening hop-on bus tour of Johannesburg, dinner near hotel.

Full day: tour of Soweto and Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, etc sites. I think it’s probably easiest if we arrange a private tour with driver and guide, but I don’t know. Advice would be appreciated.

Next (last) day: morning tour of cradle of humankind, midday transfer to airport for flight to Cape Town. I think for 5his, we need a private car and guide, especially since we will have to bring our bags with us for the airport transfer.

Does this plan work? And can anyone recommend a tour company? Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
1. Re: 2 free days, does this itinerary work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 19:41

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
705 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: 2 free days, does this itinerary work?

Your itinerary will also depend on which days of the week. There are a few highlights which are only on specific days of the week.

You can take the HOHO bus for your day long tour of Soweto. They have a hotel shuttle which will collect and bring you back, you'll take the bus to Apartheid Museum and take extension to Soweto. Highly recommended.

Rather than a tour for Maropeng, why not hire a car in Sandton, self-drive to Cradle of Humankind then leave car at airport?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: 2 free days, does this itinerary work?

I'd do as Gavin recommends. HoHo bus with Soweto on full day. (Or a private driver if less expensive for 3 of you). Then rent a car and stay at the Maropeng Boutique Hotel so you get into the Cradle of Humankind early. Drive to the caves afterward for that very interesting tour and get to the airport. If you try to drive to CoH in the am, you’ll need to leave very early. But you could. If you get a driver, make sure they will transfer to the caves and then to airport. I’d rent car with the logistics.

I’ve used Wilro and Hylton Ross for private drivers in Johannesburg. There are many options.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: 2 free days, does this itinerary work?

I had a good experience with a full day tour of Johannesburg with Phillippians4you in August. We were leaving that night so Solly (the owner) put our bags in the van during the tour and delivered us back to the airport in the late afternoon.

Reply to: 2 free days, does this itinerary work?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted