We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route to manapouri

Sacramento...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best route to manapouri

In mid October we will be traveling from Kaikoura to Manapouri (in one day hopefully!) and am not sure of the best route. Unless I hear otherwise I plan to journey down hwy 1 to hwy 82 (at Studholme junction) . I will follow that to hwy 83 to hwy 8 to hwy 6 at cromwell. Then to hwy 97 then hwy 94 to Manapouri. I am concerned about doing this in one day. What do you think? We will tentively plan on returning to Christchurch using hwy 94 to hwy 1 through Dunedin. Again what do you think? Thank you very much (in advance) for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Dunedin
Dunedin
Otago Region, New Zealand
4 replies to this topic
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route to manapouri

It is a long drive to do in one day. the word 'holiday' or 'relaxing' doesnt come into it.

travel down highway one then follow signs to Gearldine, Tekapo, then wanaka, over the crown range rod to Franfton, then to five rivers turn off then follow signs to TeAnau and Manapouri .

The distance is over 800 kilomtres and it is by no means recomended especially for anyone driving on roads which they are un familiar with. break your trip by staying at Wanaka or Queenstown, even then it is a long way

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
Queenstown
Queenstown
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route to manapouri

Way too far for a tourist in one day-Stop at Wanaka or Queenstown. Madness

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
Queenstown
Queenstown
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,521 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route to manapouri

Oh my giddy aunt.

The drive is over 10 hours of non-stop driving, considerably longer once you add stops for food, loo, sightseeing etc. Plus we don't have the easy cruising multi-lane freeways you are used to.

Driver fatigue is the most common cause of NZ road accidents. For the safety of everyone on the road, simply don't do it!

Edited: 14 September 2013, 02:49
Western Victoria
Level Contributor
421 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route to manapouri

Long Drive,

If you stay on a 1 day timetable I would recommend going via Dunedin, the terrain is a lot more conducive to a long haul and the AA site says is 827km.

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Reply to: best route to manapouri
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manapouri
More Manapouri Topics