We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubtful Sound day tour

Nottingham
Level Contributor
79 posts
140 reviews
Doubtful Sound day tour

We want to do a day tour to Doubtful Sound but I get very sea sick and would like to know what the water conditions are. I realise it depends on the weather but I'm OK-ish on enclosed water like lakes but no good on open sea. When we did Milford Sound a couple of years ago, the boat went into open sea and I wanted the world to end! The tour operator I have contacted (Real Journeys) say the boat goes out to sea for a short time. Has anyone done this who could advise what it was like? Thanks

4 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
30,074 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Doubtful Sound day tour

The last three times I visited Doubtful the water was calm as a mill pond - and any previous visits I was too young to recall what the water was doing.

It takes time to cruise out to the end of the fiord and by that time you should have found your 'sea legs'. It isn't as if you go aboard and instantly meet rough water. There are times when the cruise doesn't even get to the sea as it delays longer in the fiord watching penguins, seals or even possibly whales.

So my advice, take an anti-seasickness pill an hour before cruising, remain in the fresh air as much as you can (don't sit in the enclosed cabin), keep your eyes on the far shore-line and nibble on gingernuts - you should be fine :)

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
421 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Doubtful Sound day tour

Take the sea sick tablets, the swell can be substantial and you get the change of roll when the vessel turns around (just like at Milford)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
79 posts
140 reviews
3. Re: Doubtful Sound day tour

Thanks for the responses, TA Experts! I am going to have to pluck up courage and go for it as it looks amazing and I don't want to miss seeing it. Does anyone have an opinion of which type of craft is more stable / less rocky? One company I've looked at has regular boats, the other has catamarans. Thanks.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
30 posts
279 reviews
4. Re: Doubtful Sound day tour

Be prepared for anything in the way of weather! We visited Milford Sound in early February (sunny, calm, delightful but rather boring) and Doubtful Sound the very next day (gale force winds, driving rain, spectacular waterfalls as a result, great fun, too rough to go out to the ocean).

I speak as someone who also suffers from seasickness, but I felt fine the whole trip and I only saw one person who was being sick. I hadn't taken tablets. The water in the Sound was rough but not choppy and the Real Journeys boat coped with it very well. It was fun to struggle out on deck and take photos, but you could just stay inside if you wished, quite comfortable.

Reply to: Doubtful Sound day tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manapouri
More Manapouri Topics