We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bosawas preserve

ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Bosawas preserve

Has anyone traveled through any part of the Bosawas preserve? I would appreciate any advice on where, when, guides, places to stay, etc. My goals are horseback riding,seeing cloud forest areas, and spotting a Quetzal.

I was in Miraflorlast year, and found it stunning , but more agricultural than Cloudforest preserve.

Thanks, michelle

2 replies to this topic
Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: Bosawas preserve

I believe Green Pathways offers tours to Bosawas. I dont have any firsthand experience with them, but you might want to try to contact them to see what they offer.

I know there is a nice place called La Sombra Eco-lodge says its at the southern edge of Bosawas at Reserva Penas Blancas. On the map, it looks like Reserva Penas blancas is quite the distance from the actual Bosawas, but im not sure where the official edge of Bosawas is, or how far in you are looking to travel. La Sombra is closer to the Matagalpa/Jinotega area than Bosawas it seems. But the area around it is gorgeous.

There is a tour offered by Matagalpa Tours as well through Penas Blancas Reserva, and its advertised as their Bosawas tour.

If you are talking about going farther IN to bosawas, north to the Honduras border, good luck. Much of it is virgin rainforest, uncharted with literally nothing around for kilometers. Ive tried to make it farther in than the fringes, and havent been able to either time because its a difficult place, not for the casual traveler. Unless you are a serious outdoorswoman, or survivalist, i wouldnt plan on getting too far into the center of Bosawas. The edges are more accessible and full of nature and beauty.

hijuela.com has some information on lodging and stuff closer to the jinotega part of things.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
361 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Bosawas preserve

Hi

Bosawas is the biggest Rainforest Reserve in Latinameriac after the Amazon the Quetzala lives as far as i know mainly in Cloud Forest...Bosawas was probably part of cloud foresst vegetation but its hard to get there...Matagalpa/Jinotega has only cloud forests vegetation and there are Quetzals...You should check out this area is also goog for hiking... Checko out Esperanza Verde, La Sombra Eco Lodge, Selva Negra, La Bastilla Eco Lodge, El Jaguar Private Reserve

Salta

Reply to: Bosawas preserve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jinotega