We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car, moped, or quad?

Seymour, Connecticut
Level Contributor
83 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Car, moped, or quad?

My fiance and I are going to be staying on Naxos from starting on August 13th and leaving on August 20th for part of our honey. We are staying in a studio at the Coralli Beach Apartments. I'd appreciate any feedback on the place if anyone has stayed there. Obviously, we would like to tour the island, but we're not sure what would be best to rent. Can anyone provide me with some advice. We're both about 30, and we we're thinking that either a quad or 2 mopeds would be the most fun.

Also, our flight to return the U.S.A leaves on early on Sunday August 21st. What would be best, taking a ferry back to Athens or a flight?

Thanks so much for any help/advice that anyone can provide.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Coralli Beach Apartments
Coralli Beach Apartments
163 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
16 replies to this topic
Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

Mid August = Meltemi season with a high possibility of strong winds. Given you would like to tour the island I would personally recommend to rent a small car (or cabrio). Friends of mine who are experienced motorbikers tried to tour the island & ended up renting a small car. The blasting winds, winding mountain roads are not fun when you're on a motorbike :) A quad is fun & we rent this for a day every year just to tour a bit around. When driving to the inland we switch to a normal car.

Return by ferry or plane - up to you. Ensure you have 1-2 days of "safety margin" before your return flight because again,the winds might cause some disturbed ferry schedules (only happens exceptionally but you would not want this to happen when you need to take your flight back home) The ferry is a +/- 5 hour boat trip, the flight from Naxos to Athens is a 25min flight.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

depends where you'll be staying, and where you'd like to go. I've rented a car, motorcycle (250cc) and scooter. The real issue is the road from Naxos town, down to Mikri Vigla. It gets very touch to negotiate on scooter or motorcycle, because part of it is sand. I would opt for a small car, it will give you the flexability to travel to the other side of Naxos as well, where you have great beaches, and you'll be the only one there!

enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Mikri Vigla Beach
Mikri Vigla Beach
567 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Seymour, Connecticut
Level Contributor
83 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

Thanks to both of you for replying. My rationale for taking a moped or quad is that I was thinking it would be a lot of fun.

We are staying at the Coralli Beach Apartments. Does anyone know anything about them? I picked them after doing a lot of research because they seem to be fairly priced and have a good location.

Lastly, our plane leaves very early on a Sunday morning from Athens. Our plan is to leave Naxos on Saturday. Do you think we'll be okay? Are we giving ourselves enough time?

Thanks for all your help/advice

Mentioned in this post
Coralli Beach Apartments
Coralli Beach Apartments
163 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

Personally I would rent a car. For sure you will need a vehicle of some sort out at Migri Vigla. There is a bus of course and it August it should be frequent.

I would respectfully suggest you get back to Athens on the Friday rather than the Saturday just to be sure that you have extra time in case of weather or other unforeseen delays. Chances are very good that you can go to Athens on Saturday and have no problem at all but if something goes wrong your flight will go without you.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

No problem, hope it helps.

True that a moped or Quad might be more fun, but a quad will peg you as a tourist immediately. Not sure if that matters. The mopeds are 50cc's, so they're really tiny, esp for 2 people. I would strongly suggest a car.

as for your accomodations, I don't know that place, but i would also suggest staying closer to Naxos town, or Agios Prokiopios, Agios giorgos. Many more choices for night life, eating, etc. You can always go to Mikri Vigla for the beach during the day, which i highly suggest, as its one of the best. And be sure to eat at the taverna there, its the only one, and its right on the beach. Absolutely amazing food. Get the horiatiki (salad, a greek staple, and the octopus, grilled)

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Mikri Vigla Beach
Mikri Vigla Beach
567 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

I know the Mikri Vigla area pretty well & know that many recommend to stay closer to town for obvious reasons (i.e. more bars/restaurants) but .. in high peak season - I prefer to be in the Mikri Vigla area and drive to town when I feel like it :) I don't know the Coralli hotel specifically, I know some other places in the same area. Mikri Vigla has the famous kite-wind surfing clubs which are active on the same beach (i.e. Flisvos club, Thalasea club). On the other side Mikri Vigla you will find a long stretch of beach, at the beginning organized with chairs/beach restaurant, further on : pretty empty & beautiful :)

I'm sure Coralli will be fine - if you need recommendations of places to eat in the neighbourhood - can help you here. Regarding to the comment that Mikri Vigla has a bad road between Xora-Plaka-Mikri Vigla, true it is a sand road which is not intended as road. All those staying at Mikri Vigla are taking the main road which goes via Galanado/Byblos (or Tripodes) & then down to Mikri Vigla, Glyfada, Pyrgaki. Don't even try the beach road from Plaka to Mikri Vigla, think only off road bikes can pass & those even has issues ;)

Mentioned in this post
Mikri Vigla Beach
Mikri Vigla Beach
567 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Plaka
Plaka
12,484 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Glyfada
Glyfada
Attica, Greece
Pyrgaki
Pyrgaki
116 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,103 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

Here you can see Mikri Vigla (out of season) and an idea of the better part of the coastal road leading there:

http://tinyurl.com/6743vbe

http://tinyurl.com/68jl3c7

On the other side of the rock in Mikri Vigla you find a spot named Virgin beach:

http://tinyurl.com/5uj6ykr

Edited: 21 March 2011, 00:11
Mentioned in this post
Mikri Vigla Beach
Mikri Vigla Beach
567 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Seymour, Connecticut
Level Contributor
83 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

I really appreciate all the responses. One of the reasons we picked Mikri Viglia is because it seems like it's a bit out of the way, and so hopefully we'll have more privacy than if we were to be staying in town. Plus, because we're going to be there during August when it will be very hot, I thought that staying in a place where it is a bit more windy could help to cool us off a bit.

It sounds like you're all pretty much saying that a car is the best option and that's very helpful.

If anyone has any other suggestions for things to do on Naxos, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm going to be there for about 7 days as part of my honeymoon.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

Definitely take a trip up in the mountains to visit some of the villages.

Here was the trip we took last June.

travel.webshots.com/album/577950188puzxSj

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,103 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

Another album for trips around the island:

http://tinyurl.com/dh9mkh