We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local produce

Lubeck, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Local produce

Hi,

I thought this forum was getting lonely after a year of no visitors ;)

But I do have a 'legitimate' query:

We'll be staying in Castara for 3 weeks - soon! - and much as I'd like to think we'll be enjoying the varied eateries in the village, there will surely be occasions when we will want to cook the fresh fish-of-the-day ourselves.

Now, my wife likes to use herbs and spices in her cooking.......I know Tobago food can be quite "spicy" so there must be some available on the island but.....how is Castara placed in this regard? Of course we will be making the traditional supermarket stop on the way from the airport, but what do you all recommend we should bring from home? If anything???

And......unrelated ....but for those of you there now: how is the mosquito/sand fly situation? Same as normal for this time of year? Better? Or worse than usual?

All input greatly appreciated as usual.....but, please, let's see if we can keep "safety/security" issues out of this thread ;) ;)

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Caribbean Kitchen at Castara Retreats
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Caribbean, Cajun & Creole, Seafood
The Coffee Shop
₹, Caribbean, Cafe
D'Almond Tree Restaurant
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood
12 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local produce

I cannot speak for Castara, but I'm sure Gin and Tonic can give you great advice on this! I just wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised to see that Pennysavers on Milford Rd. had fresh green onions and HERBS for sale. Located near the dairy on the very right hand side of the store by the dairy. Also the local green seasoning (a must for Tobago cooking) was available both in plastic bags and bottles. I personally really liked the taste of the 'plastic pack' of green seasoning as I liked the flavour and it was close to my own that I make....but not as convenient as the bottles. They and other supermarkets also have the usual small packets of spices. Personally, I found the mosquito problem (I never get bothered, but my kids do) the norm this year. Mind you we were very mindful to spray daily after each morning shower and again at night. Also a few people I know had their homes and yards sprayed this year, especially if they were renting out.

I truly hope you enjoy your time and look forward to your reports! :)

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Lubeck, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local produce

Thanks Galaxy.......good to know ;)

What about garlic? Wife is German....what can I say lol

Also herbs like Rosemary, Oregano & Thyme? We can easily bring them as they'd be dried.......

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local produce

Fresh garlic is abundant. You can also buy jarred chopped and pureed. . and powdered. Dried herbs and seasonings are ok to transport as I buy tons each year I visit Tobago. Personally, I find most things are available now in Tobago at either Penny savers or Moorshead. I remember when I started going in 1986 it was difficult to find Parmesan cheese lol.

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Local produce

Try also to stop at Public Demand fruit and veg shop on your way - not far from Pennysavers but on a back street on the other side of the main road. They usually have a full range of fruit and veg, local and imported, plus fresh seasoning and garlic, ginger etc. Rosemary and Oregano are not so common, so may be just as well to bring a small amount of dried with you.

Lubeck, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local produce

Thanks "Tobago4Real" - great tip ;)

Another thought: what's the situation in Castara regarding fresh milk? Don't really want to buy that on the way with the temperatures you have!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local produce

They have UHT milk in cartons that don't require refrigeration. I'm not very knowledgeable on that stuff though. I do know it comes in a whole milk and skim milk

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Local produce

Hi zaanta,

In all my travel to Tobago, have never found fresh milk, only condensed and uht variety.

Have a great holiday and do not cry over spilt milk!!

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Lubeck, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local produce

He...he - thanks John....I'll try not to ;)

Lubeck, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local produce

.....what about goat's milk?

Lot of goats on Tobago, I hear! Especially around Easter, right????

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
571 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local produce

Well these days you can get pretty much everything here in Castara ! Some pharmaceuticals maybe you should bring with you. Compared with the south it is pretty much mosquito free at the moment. They'll love one person but will not touch the partner.......

Alas real milk you have to get at Pennysavers ( l/h side with the beers and juices.) Note real Florida OJ in 1/2 gallons as well. With or without "bits" !or the really great store on the corner in Mason Hall on the way up!

The milk is from Smith's in the USA 1/2 gallons of "Vitamin D Milk " Ultra -pasteurised and as good as the real thing. Not had to use UHT in a few years now!

Fresh goats milk is available but you have to search for it but alas no goats cheese at the moment....

.Fresh local herbs are in most gardens, just ask around. We have Sage, thyme, turmeric,ginger,lemon grass,basil, bay, rosemary and the local coriander. Our garlic not doing so well alas but it is there in the stores.

Basically if you cannot see something you ask and you will be pointed to somewhere that has what you want.

No giant avocados at the moment, wrong season, but come September you'll be able to feed a family off of just one! ( size of a rugby ball honest ! ).

All meat is in the freezers so ask in the store and of course fresh fish daily at about 20TT a good pound cleaned. Beer has gone up as the VAT has been increased but you can still buy 3 bottles Carib/Stag for 25TT most places. Bar price 12TT tops !

Incidentally Digicell fibre optic internet everywhere at 25mb meant watching the rugby 6 nations was brilliant!

Edited: 04 March 2016, 01:46
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Reply to: Local produce
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castara
Recent Conversations
More Castara Topics