We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air transfer to tobago and other first timer info

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Air transfer to tobago and other first timer info

Hello! Very much looking forward to visiting Castara for the first time in mid January 2018! We are celebrating our 25 year anniversary. Anyway, what is a fair amount of time to allow for customs? We travel with carry on only. Arriving on a tuesday 3;30pm. Not sure what time to book the air transfer and hate to go to late and arrive on Tobago after dark. Also, is there places to snorkel just off the beach? Is it easy to walk and explore? We are used to walking several miles for a visit to a good beach/bar/restaurant. Any suggestions of places to drink/eat are welcome. We love to visit with the locals! Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
5 replies to this topic
Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
571 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air transfer to tobago and other first timer info

An hour should be good . Make sure you fill in the immigration form completely AND in black ! Carry a pen with you. !!

There is no 'dusk' and the sun goes down really quickly at these latitudes. You may just miss your first sunset, but there will be others! Call your pick up from Trinidad! Turn off 'roaming' on your smart phone.

Coming up to the 'independent island ' of Castara you may want to call in at Pennysavers supermarket and pick up a few things but you can get most things in Castara. Have you not had a list of information from your landlord, get it from them ! Yes you can snorkel right off the beach especially off Little Bay the smaller of the 2 beaches. My wife sees turtle most mornings. The Rough Guide will tell you most of what you want to know NOT Lonely planet, OK! You can eat well in the village, Retreats, Chenos, Marguerites, Almond Tree, Shirmas, The Boathouse on Little Bay plus there is always local 'street food available on different days from home made ice cream to pigs foot souse! You can walk to Englishmans Bay ( a MUST DO ) for a real Robinson Crusoe experience and eat at Miss Eulas, I hope you like fresh fish because it is there in Castara most days. The local bars are all good and you will meet some real characters. Leave your preconceived ideas behind ( but not your common sense )and just come relax and let it all happen. The hardest thing to do is leave....................! See you there !

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air transfer to tobago and other first timer info

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for your information! I so hope somehow we cross paths in Castara.. You can trust we will frequent the local fare daily! You'll know us by my husband ... he NEVER wears shoes!

One more question .. is beer and rum easily available locally? Or should we bring from Trinidad? And the mosquitoes. Are they an issue this time of year? Thanks again for taking the time to help out the newbies. We are just thrilled to be coming to Tobago!

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
571 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air transfer to tobago and other first timer info

Have no fear beer and rums are available everywhere!

Mosquito are attracted to different people! They haunt dark places and dark clothing . Deodorants can attract them. They are not strong flyers so a breeze keeps them at bay as does a fan where you are staying. Vitamin B is said by some to work , I love Marmite and they leave me alone. They prefer my wife . It is a personal taste thing with mosquitos...,.,Irritating bites around the ankles are from sandflies, so wear socks or similar in the evening if taking romantic strolls on the beach. Locals do.

Do not bring sand into the house so rinse your feet. Your landlord will appreciate you not washing it off in the shower ! Antihistamine cream works wonders so bring some, burning coils in the evening are good . Jungle wonder creams work for some at keeping them at bay if you can stand the smell! Your husband may like to wear flip flops and no ‘bare back’ it is a working village not a resort so wandering around in speedos or a bikini is not the done thing .......!

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
444 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air transfer to tobago and other first timer info

Good advice, G&T and personally, I have found repellent containing a high deet level extremely helpful in keeping the disease carrying mosquito at bay.

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air transfer to tobago and other first timer info

Yes! Good advise! Thank you again ! I just recently found Marmite here in the states :) Love it on popcorn!

Reply to: Air transfer to tobago and other first timer info
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castara
Recent Conversations
More Castara Topics