We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lovely Holiday

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
48 reviews
Lovely Holiday

So, on our return from Castara I thought I'd post an update which may help anyone else who is considering booking. Our flights - we flew Thomas Cook from Manchester - fantastic value and really good flights, look to upgrade if you can afford the extra as it makes a big difference.

We stayed with Yvonne & Chris at Carpe Diem, fantastic apartments with an amazing view. Chilled out from the moment we arrived - our lovely hosts had pre-ordered our pizza for us at the Boathouse on the beach. Everywhere we went in Castara we were made welcome as friends and we are already looking to return.

Just a warning, despite Chris & Yvonne's massive efforts the First Citizens cashpoint in Castara is a bit hit and miss. Just find a 'blue' cashpoint (Republic Bank) on your way down from the airport and draw out your money there. There are a couple of places that accept cards, but not many. Sharon at the Boathouse will let you pay in £.

Lovely, lovely, holiday - 32 degrees, cold beer and a great welcome what more could you ask for?

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: Lovely Holiday

Great update!

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
470 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Lovely Holiday

One or two useful tips here. Thank you and glad to hear you had a fabulous, memorable holiday !!

Mansfield
Level Contributor
8 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: Lovely Holiday

Can I just ask if you felt safe in Tobago? Reading different things online about safety and security in the Caribbean islands is making me think twice, though the scenery just looks stunning and would love to go. We were thinking of booking a cottage or similar so would be a bit isolated and wondered if that was a sensible thing to do.

Mansfield
Level Contributor
8 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Lovely Holiday

Can I just ask if you felt safe in Tobago? Reading different things online about safety and security in the Caribbean islands is making me think twice, though the scenery just looks stunning and would love to go. We were thinking of booking a cottage or similar so would be a bit isolated and wondered if that was a sensible thing to do.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Lovely Holiday

Absolutely safe - Castara is so welcoming and if you want accommodation check out my review of Carpe Diem I can't recommend it enough! We came home and booked again for next year. By your location I'm guessing you're northern and the Manchester Thomas Cook flights are great value - upgrade to premium if you can afford it. Feel free to ask me anything you need to know.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Lovely Holiday

So good to hear that you enjoyed your holiday to pretty, little Tobago. We have been travelling there for around fourteen years ( we go about three times a year) and have never felt unsafe. A lovely, chilled and at the moment unspoilt island. We also live in the North of England and usually have to drive all of the way down to London to catch flights so will definitely try to go from Manchester this next trip which will be for the International cycling and mountain biking events in September/October.

uk
Level Contributor
394 posts
248 reviews
7. Re: Lovely Holiday

Always had my sights set on Tobago, but have to convince my wife it is safe.... ! How easy is it to combine it with a trip to Trinidad?

Mansfield
Level Contributor
8 posts
105 reviews
8. Re: Lovely Holiday

Whilst I haven't yet been to the Caribbean I did notice on line that there are frequent flights between Trinidad and Tobago which only take 25 mins and cost around £50 (you can get for less though). There is also a ferry but it is less frequent.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
575 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Lovely Holiday

Hi there, I can assure you that the ATM in Castara does now ( as of the 23rd March ) take overseas issued cards! I fined the whole changeover! Then drew cash with a Lloyds Mastercard.

You HAVE to tell the card company you are going abroad. Ignore those who say you do not have to. Drawing abnormal cash amounts can raise a red flag with them.

First Citizen's Bank have been really pro-active and are now getting more involved with local communities starting with supporting the Castara young football players.

10. Re: Lovely Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 August 2017, 07:05
Get answers to your questions about Castara
More Castara Topics