We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

london
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

We have just booked our honeymoon for August and are due to stay at the Crane in a 1 bedroom ocean view suite with plunge pool. I read all of the reviews before booking, but am now having a bit of a panic with the air con situation! It is becoming clear that it is unlikely that we will be lucky enought ot get a room where it actually works sufficiently to make a difference.

So can anyone tell me, from experience, how hot the rooms actualy get? Is it going to be unberably hot and difficult to sleep? We have thought about cancelling and booking another hotel, but I can't see that any other hotel in Barbados would be quite as spectacular in terms of setting or room size/quality for our honeymoon!!

Any advice / reassurance would be gratefully received!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

Evening temps about 25C and humid. August is a very hot month. If you don't have air and the hotel cannot guarantee it will be uncomfortable to sleep. You are paying for five stars and having no air is like staying in a budget hotel. The plunge pool will not help you sleep.

I would very seriously consider other hotels. Rates are much lower in August. Have you checked Fairmont Royal Pavilion, Coral Reef Club, Sandpiper, Cobblers Cove? These are all very good hotels and in the same or better category than the Crane. Call and speak with the revenue manager of the hotels and see what their best price is.

Edited: 17 May 2010, 21:05
Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

I agree with Ginger. Without much air-conditioning, it will be very difficult to sleep comfortably (regardless of how much breeze they tell you there is). When it's hot and humid, you definitely need air-conditioning that works.

Any of the following would be great: Treasure Beach, Coral Reef Club, Fairmont Royal Pavilion, Cobblers Cove or Colony Club. Look at their websites to decide.

You can always drive over to the Crane for lunch one day and wander down to the beach, but it's rough water there and not good for swimming - mainly good for boogie boards and the like. Also, The Crane is very far away from most things on the island.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,918 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

Last August the average temperature at night was 27 to 28 degrees. I would book a hotel where you are going to be sure to have proper A/C The Sandpiper is unfortunately usually closed in Augustso I suggest you try the Coral Reef or similar.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

I just went through some of the recent reviews of the Crane and I can see why you have second thoughts. It would be wise to book else where. Hopefully they will not give you a problem with a refund. If so do push for one and site all the problems.

warwickshire uk
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

Hi babyhopper building 8&9 dont seem to have this problem, this may very be due to only being 4 years old & face the beach, check barbadossun on holiday rentals left side of page this should give you some ideas .

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

I agree that the ongoing issue with the AC at the Crane is disappointing. We always travel in July and have stayed at the Crane on each occassion at least for part of the holiday. We have always had an ocean view plunge pool room. The first time the a/c worked perfectly (building 2) second visit we were in building 4. The a/c did not work. They spent a lot of time trying to fix it to no avial. Did it bother us. Not at all. Last year we stayed in building 5. We never had the AC on at all and it was perfect. I agree that it should be available but as long as you are on 3rd floor or above you will get plenty of Atlantic wind to keep you cool. I think you will love The Crane and would recommend you continue of your trip. For everyone who complains about the Crane you will find plenty of others who think differently.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

I don't get it! How does the Crane get away with charging such high prices when the air conditioning doesn't even work most of the time. And , why do people pay so much money to sweat ++ in a 5 star hotel!! I realize it is a beautiful place with a lovely setting, but, there are many other beautiful, less expensive places in Barbados that do have air conditioning that actually works. Maybe if people stopped going, they would get around to fixing the air.....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

Is it really worth spending all that money to keep your fingers crossed and hope there is air,or hope that you are in a building that has air?

Doesn't sound like management is very responsive when problems occur according to recent reviews.

warwickshire uk
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

That is a good valid point , may be like us every one needs to book with one with a private owner like we did 4 the last 2 years,this is i the type appt as in the post by dunnedg on the 3rd floor beach facing and a heck of saving, plus i dont think we used the fans or air con .perhaps the barbados Fair Trading Commission -complaints - 421-2382/ fax424-0300 needs a few phone calls b4 the end of your stay @ the crane its our money and remember quality not quantity 3 years is a long time .

london
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Crane - How hot does it get?!!!

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies - there really does seem to be a divide between those who love the Crane and those who feel the "down sides" are too many - compounded by the 2 extra reviews which have been posted today which are very positive!

Should anyone else have an opinion to add, I am continuing to read with great ineterst in order to gain a balanced view!

Thank you so much again!!

Get answers to your questions about Saint Peter Parish