We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel around Fuji Five Lakes/Kawaguchiko area

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Best way to travel around Fuji Five Lakes/Kawaguchiko area

Hi! :)

My partner and I are travelling to Japan in May this year, we will be spending two nights by Lake Kawaguchiko (so will have a day and a half by the time we arrive there from Osaka).

I've managed to sort out getting around for the rest of the trip, but this place is confusing me!

We will have Japan Rail pass, although from what I've seen it doesn't appear we can use that for too many places in Fuji FIve Lakes. I've come across quite a few bus packages/concession passes, are there any recommendations on what one to use to get around?

We won't want to travel too far out of the area, keen to do the Mt Kachi Kachi Ropeway, Arakura Sengen Shrine, and hopefully the Shibazakura festival (and anything else that might be worth going to).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks heaps.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Best way to travel around Fuji Five Lakes/Kawaguchiko area

It's not really so confusing. JR Pass can't be used on things that aren't JR. Fujikyu Railway and Fujikyu Bus are obviously not JR, so you may use the JR Pass up to Otsuki from which the Fujikyu Railway Line branches off (just buy a ticket at the station; it's not expensive). As much as you cannot use McDonalds's coupon for Kentucky Fried Chicken, you cannot use JR Pass for non-JR transport.

Although a short bus ride for the Retro Bus/Omnibus routes going around Kawaguchiko and Saiko aren't expensive, if you take several rides you'd save a few coins by buying a pass. The same thing can be said to the Fujikko-Go Bus which travels to Oshino Hakkai (village with eight ponds with spring water from Mt Fuji) Yamanakako (which is my recommendation).

You can buy the pass on the bus from the driver, or at the bus ticket office at Kawaguchiko Station.

For more information, see this: http://bus-en.fujikyu.co.jp/heritage-tour/

Btw, my personal best experience was riding around the lakes by rented out bicycle. Lake Yamanakako offers the best experience for that, although you can also ride around Lake Kawaguchiko and Saiko (although on a normal bicycle, it's nearly impossible to climb up the impossibly steep slope between Kawaguchiko and Saiko; electrically assisted bike would be needed for that).

Edited: 06 February 2017, 09:57
New Zealand
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Best way to travel around Fuji Five Lakes/Kawaguchiko area

Hi :)

Thanks for your advice! :)

I understand how the JR pass works but it just looks like there aren't many JR routes once we actually get to Kawaguchiko (would be easy if there were). So far what I've found there are a few different bus companies, which we can't use the JR pass on so I'm just trying to work out what bus is the best one to buy a concession ticket for so I'll definitely check out that link! :)

Haven't thought about hiring a bike although that does sound like a good idea so we'll also look into that, thanks for the tip re the steep slope!

Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Best way to travel around Fuji Five Lakes/Kawaguchiko area

>>it just looks like there aren't many JR routes once we actually get to Kawaguchiko<<

There are clearly no JR routes at all in the area.

>>So far what I've found there are a few different bus companies, which we can't use the JR pass<<

There is practically a dominance of Fujikyu Rail and Bus Co. around the local area of Fuji Five Lakes.

Their Retro Bus/Omnibus routes go around Lakes Kawaguchiko and Saiko (and some goes to Motosuko), whereas their Fujikko-Go goes to Oshino Hakkai and Yamanakako.

Edited: 06 February 2017, 11:57
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
9,336 posts
313 reviews
4. Re: Best way to travel around Fuji Five Lakes/Kawaguchiko area

Yes, the Retro Bus and Omni Green, Red, Blue Bus from Kawaguchiko station.

…fujikyu.co.jp/heritage-tour/detail/id/1/

And Fujikko-go from Mt.Fuji station.

…fujikyu.co.jp/heritage-tour/detail/id/2/

Go to the Fujikawaguchiko Information Center at first.

https://www.fujisan.ne.jp/search_e/info.php…

5. Re: Best way to travel around Fuji Five Lakes/Kawaguchiko area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2018, 21:46
Get answers to your questions about Fujikawaguchiko-machi