We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fujiginkei vs kotanzei ubuya

London, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Fujiginkei vs kotanzei ubuya

I'm choosing between these two ryokans. Their Japanese standard rooms with no private onsen are 15,000 Yen different in price with fujiginkei being cheaper.

There's no room with private onsen left in kotanzei ubuya.

Please tell me which one to choose. How are the 2 ryokans compare to each other?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,588 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fujiginkei vs kotanzei ubuya

I've stayed at the Kozantei Ubuya a few times. It's an excellent ryokan, but quite expensive especially if you get a room with a private outdoor onsen.

I was just researching other ryokans in the area and it seems that the Fujiginkei is rated at the very top in Rakuten, Japanese biggest booking site. I was going to book it myself for my April trip. I'm usually a good ryokan/hotel selector as I've worked in the industry in the past and have traveled throughout Japan extensively. I think Fujiginkei is a good one.

Mentioned in this post
Kozantei Ubuya
Kozantei Ubuya
517 Reviews
Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Japan
London, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fujiginkei vs kotanzei ubuya

Thanks! If you don't mind me extending my question a little bit: Basically I don't mind pay the extra JPYs for Kozantei Ubuya if it really offers something I won't get in other places, I would have booked it if they have the room with private bath/onsen but unfortunately those rooms have sold out, I'm gutted :(.

So between Ubuya's most basic room and compared it with say a very well regarded ryokan like Fuji Ginkei, do you think I should still go for Ubuya? The 2 ryokans are pretty much next to each other in terms of location so I think view wise it won't be a big deal, but do you think Ubuya is really exceptional?

Edited: 25 January 2017, 06:31
Mentioned in this post
Kozantei Ubuya
Kozantei Ubuya
517 Reviews
Fuji Ginkei
Fuji Ginkei
244 Reviews
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,588 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fujiginkei vs kotanzei ubuya

>>>So between Ubuya's most basic room and compared it with say a very well regarded ryokan like Fuji Ginkei, do you think I should still go for Ubuya? <<

Not necessarily. Ubuya's basic rooms are 10 tatami mats large which are the same as the rooms at the Annex Rin in Fuji Ginkei. I'd go for the latter if they are offering cheaper rate. Avoid the rooms in the main building at Ginkei though, as they look pretty old.

We stayed in a special room in Ubuya which has a bedroom with two beds and a separate Japanese room plus an outdoor bath. It's almost 100m2 and beautiful. Dinner was also excellent, but I wouldn't say it was exceptional. After all that's what you expect when you dish out nearly 50,000yen per person.

Mentioned in this post
Fuji Ginkei
Fuji Ginkei
244 Reviews
4. Re: Fujiginkei vs kotanzei ubuya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2018, 11:45