We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to North Sikkim

New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Topic
Trip to North Sikkim

Hi, am planning to visit in mid June this year and would like to know if the itinerary given below looks fine:

June 12 - Reach Gangtok

June 13: Gangtok trip (visit Ban jakri waterfall, Tsongmo Lake, Nathula pass)

June 14: Leave Gangtok for Lachung and visit places (Tashi Point, Seven Sister waterfall and others)

June 15: From Lachung to Gurudongmar to Lachung

June 16: From Lachung to Yumesodong to Gangtok

June 17: Gangtok to Bagdogra for flight at 3pm

Look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to North Sikkim

Nitin,

The itinerary for June 15th is absolutely not okay. If you drive from Lachung to Gurudongmar lake and then back to Lachung, you will fall sick. I wonder how any travel agent even suggested that itinerary!

Firstly, Lachen is at a higher altitude than Lachung. Since Gurudongmar lake is at about 17,500 feet, you need to acclimatise at Lachen before you go there. Secondly, though Lachen to Gurudongmar is only about 60kms, it takes roughly 4-5 hours, due to the terrain and altitude. It is advised to reach the lake by 9 or 10am latest. This means you already will leave Lachen in the wee hours of the morning, at about 4:30 am.

If you need to come from Lachung (which is further from Gurudongmar than Lachen), add another couple of hours...you will need to leave Lachung by 2:30 in the morning. Very, very unadvisable.

Please talk to your agent and have this itinerary modified. That would be my suggestion.

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to North Sikkim

Hi, thanks for your valuable inputs. I believe you guys are also into planning tours. Since, I have not finalised any travel agent till now, please let me know if it would be possible for you to design a tour package for me. You may please reach me on my e-mail ID: dialnitin@gmail.com

Cheers,

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to North Sikkim

Nitin, no, we do not plan tours. Tripadvisor is a travel community where travellers help each other with information and suggestions, based on their experience with the place. I and the others are just regular people like you and not travel agents.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to North Sikkim

This being said, all you need to do is to stay for 1N in Lachung, after driving from Gangtok. The next day, visit Yumesamdong and then go to Lachen. Stay overnight at Lachen. The next day, leave for Gurudongmar lake. After visiting the lake, you can drive to Gangtok (which is what most tour operators will do). This means that you will spend 2N/3D in North Sikkim. If you have more time, you can spend 1 extra day each in Lachen & Lachung so that it is not too hectic.

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to North Sikkim

Thanks again for all your valuable inputs. One last thing, please see the itinerary below and let me know if this is practically possible without making it too hectic.

12th June Bagdogra >>> Gangtok (121 kms)

13th June Gangtok >>> Ban jakri waterfall >>> Tsongmo Lake >>> Nathula pass (64 kms)

14th June Gangtok >>> Katao>>> Lachung (163 kms)

15th June Lachung >>> Gurudongmar >>>Lachen (162 kms)

16th June Lachen >>> Chungtang>>>Seven Sister Waterfall>>>Tashi View Point>>>Gangtok (117 kms)

17th June Gangtok >>> Bagdogra (121 kms)

The mileage given above is taken from google maps and may not be accurate.

Also, if suppose we have to drop one destination among Nathula Pass, Yumesodong or Gurudongmar, which one should we drop.

Best regards,

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to North Sikkim

On 13th June, drop Banjhakri waterfall....you are not missing much. It is located in a theme park. In any case, you cannot visit it before Tsomgo Lake & Nathu-la. A trip to Tsomgo Lake & Nathu-la requires you to leave Gangtok after an early breakfast and you will return only by about 4pm.

June 14th - If you leave Gangtok after breakfast, you will reach Lachung only after 6 hrs. In between, you will also stop for lunch (most likely at Mangan). Katao is beyond Lachung. You cannot visit it that day.

June 15th - You have totally misunderstood what I've said. You need to drive from Lachung to Lachen and stay there overnight. Gurudongmar lake can only be visited the next day. What you can do on this day is visit Katao early in the morning (from Lachung) and then drive to Lachen, to reach there by evening.

June 16th - Visit Gurudongmar lake. Drive back to Gangtok. Trust me, you will be so tired due to the high altitude, you will not have the energy for any sightseeing on the way to Gangtok. Anyways, take a chance and try to see whatever you have planned. But, all those places can actually be visited on June 14th, when you drive from Gangtok to Lachung.

Your other question says "Also, if suppose we have to drop one destination among Nathula Pass, Yumesodong or Gurudongmar, which one should we drop". You cannot compare all these places, they are very different. Also, it's not like you are visiting all the three on the same day, so I don't understand your doubt of which one to drop. From what I've understood, these are my suggestions:

Nathu-la can easily be combined with Tsomgo lake, if you are interested....it doesn't have to be 'dropped'.

Similarly, if you are going to Lachung, choose between either Katao or Yumesamdong (you cannot visit both as they are in totally opposite directions).

If you are going to Lachen, visit Gurudongmar. Else, drop both Lachen & Gurudongmar and return to Gangtok from Lachung. This will save you 1 day in your itinerary.

More than your itinerary, I am worried that you are planning to travel during the monsoons. In June, monsoon sets into Sikkim. Road conditions deteriorate and landslides can occur. Places like Tsomgo lake and North Sikkim may not even be accessible. Though June is only early monsoons, please take the advise of a local before you decide to visit during that time.

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to North Sikkim

Hi, I'm planning to visit North Sikkim in mid June this year. However, someone suggested me that I shouldn't do North Sikkim because the place had an earthquake last year and hence its very fragile. Also, in June it might start raining and hence because of possibility of land slides, its really not advisable. I have been suggested Pelling and Kalimpong. Please advise.

Best regards

Kolkata
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to North Sikkim

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Sikkim and have prepared a tentative itinerary as below:-

13th June -Arrive NJP at 7.45 am . NJP to Pelling. Day free at Pelling

14th June -Pelling Sightseeing

15th June -Pelling to Gangtok

16th June -Gangtok-Changu lake-Gangtok

17th June - Gangtok-Lachung. Overnight at Lachung

18th June - Lachung to Yumthang-Back to Gangtok.same day

19th June - Gangtok-NJP to catch the train at 8:00 pm

We are a group of 6 adults(age group 58-25 yrs) & 1 infant (19 mths). We want a relaxed journey and would appreciate any suggestions/changes in the itinerary.

If any one can help with the places of interest in the respective places that we plan to visit, it would be great.

Regards

Rajiv

9. Re: Trip to North Sikkim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 09:47